1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunlizz, May 30, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    IS it ok to USE moss ( that hangs from the trees ) in their nest ? I noticed they are eating this moss . I was told moss is nothing more than a fungus and I was PRAYING the whole time I wrote this message that this will not harm the hens . PLEASE ANSWER ASAP

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have absolutely no idea but... my thought is that moss is generally damp/wet? I wouldn't use anything that is damp/wet in my chicken coop.

Hopefully someone from the South will jump in and give you some real guidance.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:NO , this MOSS is perfectly DRY . BUT they are eating it . LOL

4. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    i would think that tree mosses would be too brittle and dusty for prolonged use. i'm sure it's fine for your chickens to eat in moderation; it's just a lichen. i'm just not sure i'd use it as nesting material. but you know, maybe someone has some actual experience with this and can give it a 5 star rating!

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I think it would be fine for them to eat, also cushy and soft, but not absorbant. I try to avoid touching it myself because it often harbors redbugs (aka chiggers). They are related to ticks. They leave horrible nasty itchy red bites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by