nesting material

jack45

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Hi all. This is my first post. About 20 years ago my wife and I had 80 chickens when we lived in oregon. As rookies from L.A. We did everything right I guess, as we had tons of eggs which I sold at work. I built the house and yard. Worked great. Now my question we bought 6 chicks from BYC in May 16th. Allwent well, and I built a smaller version of hen house including an outside nesting box for gathering eggs. Well, my problem is everytime I put shavings on coop floor, and now after putting wheat straw in nesting box( this a continous 4ft. box by12 inches wide) They kick everything out down to the bottom of egg box. And I think there is more shavings from coop floor outside than in. Also they just make holes in the corners on floor. of coop. They just laid there first eggs 5 one day all in the floor pocket not egg box. Today I had to crawl around inside coop to level the mess, found 1 egg almost covered up. I never had this problem before why wont they leave there straw in box? And why do they kick all the shavings out? Help!!!!!

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from WA. glad you joined us!
Chickens like to scratch around and look for any little food. They do make a mess of things!

Thanks, you have that right. I think I will install some dividers, and maybe they cant kick so much.
smile.png

Put in dividers. That way they'll use the nests to lay eggs and not to forage. I've had great luck with using astro turf cut to fit inside the boxes. You know, the green fake lawn stuff. You'd think that the hens would notice that it isn't "natural" but they love it. I shake it out once in a while and squirt it with a hose if an egg breaks or if a hens accidentally poops in the nest. Get the softest you can find. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom