Nesting Materials... Do's and Don'ts

chasinglights27

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
Southern California
Hi Im pretty new to raising chickens. I have a trio of Seramas. A Buff Rooster, a white with chocolate spotting hen and a black partridge hen. The Partridge laid 8 eggs and two were infertile. And she is now sitting on 6 of them. Its October and we have temps from 40s- 60s here at night. What linings or materials could i put in the nest to keep them warmer. "m afraid the two eggs didn't develop cuz it was too cold. My father told me to use carpet as the base, of the nest. Should I? Im new to raising chickens, and I really want the eggs to hatch? What materials should i use? and what are some stuff i shouldnt use. Thanks

I wouldn't use carpet in a nesting box. The hen will poop in the nest sooner or later, and the carpet will get
sickbyc.gif
I would recommend straw. You can buy bales, or some feed stores will allow you glean straw for free. You will need to bring your own bag. Make sure it's okay with the feed store first. You could also use wood chips, or even play sand. If you use sand it needs to be Play Sand. Play sand has been cleaned. Most other types of sand can have nasties in it.

I was worried about my broody on her eggs because she would dig into her straw so much that her eggs were on the wood. So I cut two thick pieces of cardboard and put them both on the bottom of the nest box, then the straw on top. The cardboard doesn't get cold so doesn't matter if the eggs are sitting on it. It's kinds of like insulation I guess. But if it gets soiled I just replace it!

More hygenic than carpet!

Last edited:
What does the nest have in it now? At this point I wouldn't recommend messing with the hen or her nest too much.
I'd put some hay or straw near enough for her to reach and let her tailor her nest to her liking.

My nests are lined with corrugated cardboards for cushion and topped with plenty of straws. They always shove the straws to the sides forming a “nest”.

Last edited:
I use hay............my chicks like the coastal type because it is softer to them.
Just set a little around them now that they are sitting, and she will grab what she wants to make the nest...................no rug.....will get too dirty too fast.

Thanks everyone, I went to the feed store and was able to get some hay. I put some hay near her and she immediately, took some into the nest.
smile.png
Thanks, I will update on the hatch soon. Cross your fingers for me!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom