Nesting

Bdbutton

Songster
May 30, 2018
what does everyone use in their nesting boxes? I am using eco flake but it’s very messy, the chickens seem to kick it out of the nest a lot. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

what does everyone use in their nesting boxes? I am using eco flake but it’s very messy, the chickens seem to kick it out of the nest a lot. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I like excelsior. It comes in a 10 pack with paper on the bottom. You fluff it up and it’s good to go. Since it’s all attached, the hens can’t remove it by scratching. It’s very easy to change when soiled and last a long time

I haven’t heard of that. I’ll see if I can find it. That sounds like a great idea. Very easy! Thank you.

I use hay. I don't buy it, I rake it up after we cut tall grass-- which I lay out in the sun to dry.

How old are your birds?
New layers make a mess 'over' scratching the nests, they stop after laying for a bit.

How high is the front edge of your nest...pics, please?
4-6" is good to keep bedding and eggs(fake and real) in the nests.

I like excelsior. It comes in a 10 pack with paper on the bottom.
Like these?
How much do they fluff up, pics please?

I use flakes of straw, jammed in tight then 'bowled' out a bit.
Works well and is cheap (~$6 a year) but have room for storage and sewed up a bag to keep bale contained after cutting strings.
full

I like excelsior. It comes in a 10 pack with paper on the bottom. You fluff it up and it’s good to go. Since it’s all attached, the hens can’t remove it by scratching. It’s very easy to change when soiled and last a long time

Do they have to be cut to fit the nest?

Back
Top Bottom