Nesting

EriCavanagh

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
Hi! I have 12 chickens that are about 5 months old. I had nests in the coop but they were sleeping in them 5 to a nest, so I took them out so they would learn to roost. Now I’d like to add nests but not sure how to make it successful. I think my nests were too high maybe? If I have perches higher than the nests then they should roost on the perches and lay in the nests right? Any advice greatly appropriated!! Thanks!

You should block them off at night, with a curtain or some wood so they are forced to roost. Then, you can unblock them in the morning and they can lay eggs in them again! I bet you could even get an automatic door opener, and have it open and close a panel of wood to cover the roost for you. They are expensive though and probably not nessasary.

You should block them off at night, with a curtain or some wood so they are forced to roost. Then, you can unblock them in the morning and they can lay eggs in them again! I bet you could even get an automatic door opener, and have it open and close a panel of wood to cover the roost for you. They are expensive though and probably not nessasary.
That's really all there is to it. Over time, your hens may just learn not to sleep in the nest box.

Hi! I have 12 chickens that are about 5 months old. I had nests in the coop but they were sleeping in them 5 to a nest, so I took them out so they would learn to roost. Now I’d like to add nests but not sure how to make it successful. I think my nests were too high maybe? If I have perches higher than the nests then they should roost on the perches and lay in the nests right? Any advice greatly appropriated!! Thanks!
Our roosts are above the hen house floor, and our nestboxes raised off the floor, if that counts...

Back
Top Bottom