NESTING ?

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Good afternoon all, this question has risen at Snowflake Farm..what do y'all do in a shed type coop for nesting box(s) as far as placement? Here's what I mean, in out present coop the floor is 28 ish inches of the ground and is exterior mounted. With my plan for an 8x10 "shed" coop nesting box(s) would be that high off the floor for the collector's(me) convenience...will this dictate a ramp/walk up for the older one or will everyone be happy with that height off the floor? I'm considering 24-28 inches off the floor with most likely 6 boxes and exterior mounted. Would a 12" landing pad in front of the boxes be acceptable? I/we are finding there are a lot of little details we hadn't thought of going to the "shed" style of coop.

I went 24" off floor with a 2x4 perch 8" in front.
I did use ramps because of bumbling brahma's now gone,
some use the ramps some don't.
More pics and drawing here and on my coop page.

Here are my thought on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/
full

Last edited:
Mine are on the floor - lol! My big birds have to roost low to the ground, so, since I don't want them sleeping in the boxes, the boxes are lower than the roost. On the ground.

However, before I had big girls, my boxes were 24" up with a ramp. They didnt use the tamp, though. They just jumped up. I installed a shelf type thing in front of the boxes as a landing surface, and that did the trick.

I tell you what, it was nice not having to stoop to collect eggs. I'm designing a new coop, and I'm thinking of changing things so that I don't have to...

Y'all are AWESOME and thank you...I'm not going to install a ramp BUT will leave space and design it in. My next debate is build my own or purchase some "plastic" boxes...they would be mounted to the wall with exterior access. Kinda the best of both worlds...I will leave a link and await feedback on this idea. We are trying to make this the last coop we build and want to get it right...everyone here has so much knowledge and experience..we appreciate your sharing with us NEWBIES...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082P5HB4N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_aRdbGbK85G3BP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A bit pricey BUT could and should last a long time, maybe not the exact model we could end up with but you get the jist of what we(I)are thinking. My better half is trying to talk me into what her grandmother used which was or as best as she could describe it as a flat area along a wall with bedding on it...no divided box just pick a spot and lay an egg 😋 not sure if I subscribe to this idea and would appreciate pro's and con's of that concept.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082P5HB4N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_aRdbGbK85G3BP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A bit pricey BUT could and should last a long time, maybe not the exact model we could end up with but you get the jist of what we(I)are thinking. My better half is trying to talk me into what her grandmother used which was or as best as she could describe it as a flat area along a wall with bedding on it...no divided box just pick a spot and lay an egg 😋 not sure if I subscribe to this idea and would appreciate pro's and con's of that concept.
I've been thinking of adding one of those, too (the "Little Giant" one they carry at Tractor Supply), so I'll be curious to hear what others think! The reviews seem pretty good...

I have these now! I love them, but they do take up room in the coop. If you raise them up, they'll be fine. I still suggest a landing shelf, perch, something because those little steps it comes with didn't work for my big girls. But try them out! Maybe you'll get better results.

One reason I got them is because I knew I'd be moving. They stack and take up zero room.

Also, the way they are shaped, the eggs roll backward, which also like. My eggs can be muddy in winter, and that's helped keep them cleaner.

I put these nesting pads in them, and my girls love them. They are kinda pricey, too, but it keeps the stuff from getting kicked out of the box. I change them frequently because I'm paranoid after losing a hen to an e coli infection.
downloadfile-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom