Netting above run sufficient?

Since it snows where you live I would not go with a 1/2” hardware cloth top because it’s really hard to get it to not build up on the top. The 1” allows the snow to fall through better and it’s easier to knock off. We just got a foot and half of snow and I have a little section of 1/2” hardware cloth on the top (just because it was a scrap piece) and the rest is the 1”. The snow got through the 1” but the 1/2” I couldn’t get any to fall through it even with hitting it with the back side of a rake lol.

Here’s a picture of how I made supports in my run for the hardware cloth top. I attached it with screws and washers.
View attachment 3419306
View attachment 3419307
It’s holding up pretty well despite the heavy snow! Got it, 1” minimum on top. At least I’d be saving on hardwarecloth. Supports are tough to build for me but I’ve learned through experience that everything sags without them.

That’s the netting I have and it’s great but it sags so I may need wire under it like you I think.
I use a center pole . I salvaged an old ham radio pole. you can see the three leg base stands and the galvanized poles laid out on top of them. When a tropical storm or hurricane comes, i just pull it back down the pole like a curtain and tie it off to the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    865.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0846 (2).JPG
    IMG_0846 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 35
I use a center pole . I salvaged an old ham radio pole. you can see the three leg base stands and the galvanized poles laid out on top of them. When a tropical storm or hurricane comes, i just pull it back down the pole like a curtain and tie it off to the coop.
That’s pretty ingenious! I have to try something similar.

I just ordered 1 inch heavy duty bird netting from Pinion myself, but wondered if I need to add something else, 4 ft sides will have 19 gauge half inch hardware cloth with 24 inch apron?

Back
Top Bottom