Netting demise!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by usalbrechts, Jan 1, 2008.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    The netting over my run did not survive the foot of heavy snow we got on New Years Eve here in Michigan!!!! It is ripped and torn and lays on the ground under 12 inches of snow!! I am not sure how to remedy this before spring...Just last week my son saw a hawk swoop down to try and snatch a chicken. It did not see the netting and almost got caught in it. I wonder, in the colder, snowy climates, do people just use chicken wire to cover runs. I wonder if wire would hold up to blizzards better??? I don't want to lose any to hawks! Well, just saying ARRRRGGGG over here!!! [​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

AW sorry....... I used panels and wire over mine....and wood slats to help hold it up........had a tree fall on it during the recent ice storm.........it is sagging now, but it did hold up......

3. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    So sorry!

I guess Maine and Michigan are getting some deep "stuf" this winter.
    Had the same problem as you this winter.
    What can I say...Hindsight is 20 - 20. Gonna get a do-over come spring! LOL
    Good luck in the future.

sylvia

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, pooh. It is a pain to have to redo that stuff once you think it's done. Sometimes mine makes it through the winter and sometimes it doesn't.
    Usually if we are getting a heavy snow I shake the snow off of the netting when I am out doing chores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by