Netting for over a large run

If you want to keep raccoons out you're going to need something more than bird netting.
I went long(50') and skinny(8' wide) as that width fit my rafter supports.
14 ga 2x4 welded wire for apron, walls and roof.
Still have to clear the snow load off sometimes if it sticks.

CaveManRich I hear you! Sorry for such vague sizes!

It is going to be 50 feet by 75 feet with the chicken house out in the middle so that could act as a partial support.

We are in Missouri so the main threats would be raccoons, hawks, coyotes and owls (sometimes our ducks don't go in...they like to party in the rain)

We are using horse fence for the sides. Which is 2 x 4 inch squares and 5 feet tall.

Thoughts now on best cover?

Thank you everyone and Mr Pink glad this is helping you too.

wee.gif
Here are some thoughts. Depending on your finances,??? but I think the heavier Deer netting would do a better job and last longer. It would hold up better to leaves, and keep the aerial raptors out. Your coop in the middle would provide the center support. I think that the netting could be held in place by stretching it to the outside Horse fence. Your horse fence may need to be well braced to hold the stretched netting.
idunno.gif
, To control the other predators like raccoons and coyotes, I think a Hot Wire fencing would be most effective. Not too expensive if you purchase on line. The farm supply stores do get a bit more $ for their items out the door. Of course when you need a lot of wire and isolator insulators, the cash register starts to overheat..
gig.gif
The Energizer that I will be getting for my needs is reasonably priced. I think it would do your needs just as well. Here is a link to a post I just wrote on another thread. Post 7347
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37/illinois/7340#post_18071047
Here is a quick picture of the unit for $33

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are amazing. This site is amazing. And so lovely to see someone else's coup. We mainly let them free range but if the crops are high too many can go missing, so it's going to be used (possibly) for just that time of year.

Throwing this out there. I'm allowed to get some Frizzles (just for fun you know)....anyone got any eggs.....?

Since you are new we are here to HELP. I cant help you with your requests for eggs but I can lead you to where you may find them easily. Join your state thread and post your requests there. It connects you with peeps in your area. By joining, there is nothing to do except post in that thread and read the posts there as well. I personally hang out in the Illinois and Arizona threads. Here is a link to the largest one for Missouri.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73271/calling-any-one-from-missouri
smile.png

I agree 100% with cavemanrich about hot wiring your run. I live in raccoon and Red Tailed Hawk central not to mention our own curious and somewhat nosy dogs and my run is covered with the heavy duty bird netting and hot wired. We just enlarged our run from 12x30 to 24x52 with the same netting and hot wire set up. I bought my netting on a site called banggood.com. Takes a while to get stuff as it items are mostly shipped from China direct, but I got 4x10 meters white/clear nets for around 8.49 apiece. I pieced them together and joined them with metal S hooks that I made myself. The first net has been up all winter and has held up well. I just put up the second net and plan to order more.

Only drawback to them that I have noticed is they are susceptible to ice storms and I have had to drop mine down and take them in until the bad weather has passed. Of course the chickens aren't out in ice storms anyway so no big deal, just a bit of a hassle taking them down and putting them back up again.

Today confirmed why I was trying so hard to engineer a self supporting net frame over my run and NOT dig in a center support post ... 6 hours of pick ax , post hole digger and mostly breaker bar to get a 12 in hole 24 inches deep!

HATE Missouri Ozarks rocks !!! This would have been easier to do if I had originally designed and constructed before I stretched run wire

Today confirmed why I was trying so hard to engineer a self supporting net frame over my run and NOT dig in a center support post ... 6 hours of pick ax , post hole digger and mostly breaker bar to get a 12 in hole 24 inches deep!

HATE Missouri Ozarks rocks !!! This would have been easier to do if I had originally designed and constructed before I stretched run wire

Tell me about that. I just got done digging a 24" deep 25' long trench for water and electric, But that isn't too the coop. The coop gets them after another 24" deep by 12' and the last being 24" deep by 30' trench gets dug.

I gave up on the post hole digger. It worked In St.Louis but not on the Ozark plateau. I did find a used 3pt auger for my tractor of craigslist and it's still some work. But way faster. I still have a pick to pry rocks and a shovel.

Scott

Last edited:
I'n in MO too. But overhead hawk issues haven't been a problem. As long as the birds had somewhere to run for cover when the Rooster alerted them. I use an old round water tank propped up on a huge stump. Provides shade, a dry spot and aerial assault protection. Because it had some holes in it, it didn't work for cattle watering but let's out enough heat in the summer.

Coons, coyotes as foxes take our birds. I use Kencoves electric net fencing. Dog-ish animals that sniff with those sensitive noses hate it. We have not lost a bird that was Inside this fence.

Last edited:

One of these and a $500 lightning of your wallet would have cut your time in 1/4.
gig.gif

Its electric.

Mr Pink: You poor poor thing. What a nightmare. My husband dug 2 holes this afternoon in northern missouri and it was tough just digging 36 inches but nothing like yours !

2 posts now in.

We need the cover across as our hens, guineas and muscovy ducks especially, love to fly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom