Netting for the top???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by evhammond1200, Jun 14, 2010.

1. evhammond1200

evhammond1200 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Canaan, NH
    OK I'm fencing in my run with galvanized poultry fence. What does anyone suggest for the top covering? Ive seen some plastic and nylon netting sold in wide enough pieces to cover my run roof any other suggestions or thoughts?

2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I use dog kennel fencing, and my birds live a 10 x 20 ft. enclosure. I have bought 100 ft, 2 1/2 ft. wide chicken wire. I took each 50 ft roll, divided evenly into 4 10 ft sections, wired them together and wired the "squares" to the top of the 6 ft. high enclosures. My birds are adults, but a hawk might try and a large owl WOULD try to get them without this top. Hope this helps you. [​IMG]

3. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    I use fruit tree netting.....so far so good.

[​IMG]

4. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    We use shadecloth, like what people use over dog kennels. Do a google search for "shadecloth" -- there are several manufacturers. We are very happy with it. It reduces the temperature in the pen, is durable, and makes the chickens hard to see from above.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I use deer netting, no one lost in 3 yrs and several hawk attacks foiled.

6. evhammond1200

evhammond1200 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Canaan, NH
    Thank you all for the different options!

7. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Much stronger than deer fencing or bird netting is the heavy duty nylon netting. We bought a 25'x50' for around $48 for 2" holes. It went through this past winter with 70" of snow. We back up to the woods, so lots of heavy branches and sticks fall, not one hole in the first year. We tied it to the fencing with zip ties, very easy to install.

Here's a link for the nylon netting we used to cover our run.

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/home.asp

Bird Netting & Aviary Netting | Sports Net Safety Nets & Nylon ...
    Providing inexpensive bird netting, aviary netting products, sports & safety nets, bird control products plus much more, click - call 866-439-4660.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by