Netting for the top???

evhammond1200

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Canaan, NH
OK I'm fencing in my run with galvanized poultry fence. What does anyone suggest for the top covering? Ive seen some plastic and nylon netting sold in wide enough pieces to cover my run roof any other suggestions or thoughts?

I use dog kennel fencing, and my birds live a 10 x 20 ft. enclosure. I have bought 100 ft, 2 1/2 ft. wide chicken wire. I took each 50 ft roll, divided evenly into 4 10 ft sections, wired them together and wired the "squares" to the top of the 6 ft. high enclosures. My birds are adults, but a hawk might try and a large owl WOULD try to get them without this top. Hope this helps you.
big_smile.png

We use shadecloth, like what people use over dog kennels. Do a google search for "shadecloth" -- there are several manufacturers. We are very happy with it. It reduces the temperature in the pen, is durable, and makes the chickens hard to see from above.

Much stronger than deer fencing or bird netting is the heavy duty nylon netting. We bought a 25'x50' for around $48 for 2" holes. It went through this past winter with 70" of snow. We back up to the woods, so lots of heavy branches and sticks fall, not one hole in the first year. We tied it to the fencing with zip ties, very easy to install.

Here's a link for the nylon netting we used to cover our run.

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/home.asp

Bird Netting & Aviary Netting | Sports Net Safety Nets & Nylon ...
Providing inexpensive bird netting, aviary netting products, sports & safety nets, bird control products plus much more, click - call 866-439-4660.

Back
Top Bottom