netting to protect my birds

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
Hi everyone! i’m getting some hardware cloth to try and keep the predators out of my duck and chicken house… does plastic chicken wire netting work to keep out mink, weasels and other pests? it’s the only one my store has here, and the nearest town with better materials is 4 hours away.

Attachments

• 5D7C9B72-EBF9-454A-9328-FAF9CAC36084.png
    5D7C9B72-EBF9-454A-9328-FAF9CAC36084.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 50
This.....

It would help to see what you are trying to enclose @cessietaylor .
Got a page or post pics here for your coop and run.
my ducks and goats share a house, it’s large enough for them but i separate the middle so they’re not all together as the goats and ducks are out at different times… it’s separated by a wooded fence but not predator proof so when the goats are out i have to leave their door open so they can go back in but i’m worried a mink or something will sneak in so i was going to put something like netting of sorts to predator proof it even when the door is open.

1/2 inch galvanized hardware cloth. With proper framing it will stop nearly everything short of bears.
is this what you mean? i’ll have to have it ordered in unfortunately but not sure what to do till then

Attachments

• 0937B788-5779-4811-9F1D-CE49FB8B3167.png
    0937B788-5779-4811-9F1D-CE49FB8B3167.png
    830.3 KB · Views: 5
my ducks and goats share a house, it’s large enough for them but i separate the middle so they’re not all together as the goats and ducks are out at different times… it’s separated by a wooded fence but not predator proof so when the goats are out i have to leave their door open so they can go back in but i’m worried a mink or something will sneak in so i was going to put something like netting of sorts to predator proof it even when the door is open.
Sounds like you might need to reconfigure your housing to be predator proof day and night. You've had a mink get into housing during the day?
When y ou say "out" does that mean free range, or....?

i’ll have to have it ordered in unfortunately but not sure what to do till then
Most folks do order it as the amount/roll size needed is rarely available in a local store.

Sounds like you might need to reconfigure your housing to be predator proof day and night. You've had a mink get into housing during the day?
When y ou say "out" does that mean free range, or....?

Most folks do order it as the amount/roll size needed is rarely available in a local store.
yes lol that’s why i’m trying to get hardware cloth to make it predator proof day and night…
and yes when i say out i mean free range.
they free range at different times as they go to bed at different times.

Back
Top Bottom