Neutering my rooster

Texasblue4

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
Svea, FL
Good morning all,
I am new here...have been reading posts here for about 4 months since I found yall.
I live in NW FL. I have a rooster that I would like to caponize. We love the rooster, he is 4 months old (Frizzle Silver Laced Cochin),he is the only rooster. I can't segregate him. He is bullying 3 of my hens, I have 15, not mounting them just chases them down rips feathers out and pecks them unmercifully over and over. I have called vets all around me in FL & AL. They have not heard of such a thing. He was in our very first batch we bought in April, we are first time owners. If I can't get him fixed I must give him away. He is very loving to us follows us around, loves to be picked up and petted. Does anyone know of a vet who can do this humanely?
Kind regards,
Sherry

Of course you can segregate him. Ask a friend if they have a large dog crate, preferably the wire kind, but the other type will do in a pinch. Put bird, food and water in the crate. Place crate in the coop with the other chickens so that they still get some Look-Don't-Touch time together. Leave him in this living arrangement for about 2 weeks. Cockerels reach sexual maturity before pullets. This will give your rooster time for his hormones to cool down, and give your pullets (the three that he's chasing all over God's Little Green Acre) to sexually mature to a point that they'll be more thankful for his ardent attentions. If after two weeks, when you reintroduce him to the flock, his behavior persists, separate him for another week, then try to reintroduce him again. Rinse well, and repeat as long as is needed. If this behavior doesn't remedy itself within 2 months, then finding him a new home, or inviting him to (for) dinner, may be in order.
He's at the phase where on human terms we'd say that he's pulling their pigtails and calling them names... Cockerels typically outgrow this, but the pullets would surely appreciate the time away from him.

they are terrors when they get started on the hormones, chicken jail for him and he will learn to calm down, if he is harassing the hens like that show him you are boss, my roosters are not allowed to crow , mount or terrorize my hens if I am out there,and they learned it as soon as the hormones kicked in. them hormones make them kinda stupid at times until they get used to them

Hello Sherry and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. Sorry, I can’t help with your question.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

You don't have a rooster - you have a cockerel. A hormonal, coming into sexual maturity male. How old are your "hens"? If they're under a year old, they are pullets. If they're the same age, they are not ready to lay, and not sexually mature. I agree with Tycine that separating him for a time would be helpful. Personally, I'd do it until the pullets are laying. They may be more accepting of his attentions at that time, and he will hopefully have matured more. If not, lock him up for a while longer. (I just reread your post, and see that you can't segregate him. If that's the case, I'd find him a new home. Your pullets will appreciate it. Another thought - how big is the space in which they live in feet x feet? Are they free ranged? If they're in a run, do you have hiding places and roosts at separate levels where the girls can get away from him?

I have not caponized a cockerel before, so I have no experience. What I have read is that it's best done when they're very young, and the older he gets, the more risk there is of him not surviving it. The other thing I have read is that chickens can't handle anesthesia, so it's done without. That means cutting into him and removing the testes while the bird is awake and in pain. I would not take the risk for an animal that I love, or put it through the pain.

You don't have a rooster - you have a cockerel. A hormonal, coming into sexual maturity male. How old are your "hens"? If they're under a year old, they are pullets. If they're the same age, they are not ready to lay, and not sexually mature. I agree with Tycine that separating him for a time would be helpful. Personally, I'd do it until the pullets are laying. They may be more accepting of his attentions at that time, and he will hopefully have matured more. If not, lock him up for a while longer. (I just reread your post, and see that you can't segregate him. If that's the case, I'd find him a new home. Your pullets will appreciate it. Another thought - how big is the space in which they live ? Are they free ranged? If they're in a run, do you have hiding places and roosts at separate levels where the girls can get away from him?

I have not caponized a cockerel before, so I have no experience. What I have read is that it's best done when they're very young, and the older he gets, the more risk there is of him not surviving it. The other thing I have read is that chickens can't handle anesthesia, so it's done without. That means cutting into him and removing the testes while the bird is awake and in pain. I would not take the risk for an animal that I love, or put it through the pain.

X2!!

get a wire dog kennel and put a piece of wood on top so he can hide from sun or weather if need be doesn't need to be a complete separate coop he can be with the flock but not terrorize the hens or re homing would be your best options

I don't know your set up but the crate can be moved inside the coop at night too with the hens for his protection and the hens

Good morning all,
I am new here...have been reading posts here for about 4 months since I found yall.
I live in NW FL. I have a rooster that I would like to caponize. We love the rooster, he is 4 months old (Frizzle Silver Laced Cochin),he is the only rooster. I can't segregate him. He is bullying 3 of my hens, I have 15, not mounting them just chases them down rips feathers out and pecks them unmercifully over and over. I have called vets all around me in FL & AL. They have not heard of such a thing. He was in our very first batch we bought in April, we are first time owners. If I can't get him fixed I must give him away. He is very loving to us follows us around, loves to be picked up and petted. Does anyone know of a vet who can do this humanely?
Kind regards,
Sherry

Back
Top Bottom