Nevadans?

ohhh ohhhh i want to learn more about winter gardening
big_smile.png

the craigslist person who wanted the silkie but didn't get it is becoming a little annoying. today she emails again and asks for pictures of the other silkies, which I had already attached to the email yesterday. and she said she would like two, a male and a female. Umm, not giving her a female! I thought I was pretty clear that it would only be males IF i have more males.
rant.gif

If I end up with an extra female, I'll offer it to you, Missy, since you didn't end up with any silkies. Meanwhile, I'm hoping not to hear any more crowing out there.

I have integrated my whole flock as of last night. so far, so good. some pecks here and there but nothing major. the youngest ones tend to hang out more in the coop to stay away from the older ones but they'll get used to the new situation soon. i put an extra feeder inside for them since the bullying tends to happen by the outside feeders.

My showgirl pullet got third best pullet in a 13 page bantum contest
celebrate.gif

I love the online contestes they are soo much fun
yay! that's fun.

the craigslist person who wanted the silkie but didn't get it is becoming a little annoying. today she emails again and asks for pictures of the other silkies, which I had already attached to the email yesterday. and she said she would like two, a male and a female. Umm, not giving her a female! I thought I was pretty clear that it would only be males IF i have more males.
rant.gif

If I end up with an extra female, I'll offer it to you, Missy, since you didn't end up with any silkies. Meanwhile, I'm hoping not to hear any more crowing out there.

I have integrated my whole flock as of last night. so far, so good. some pecks here and there but nothing major. the youngest ones tend to hang out more in the coop to stay away from the older ones but they'll get used to the new situation soon. i put an extra feeder inside for them since the bullying tends to happen by the outside feeders.

Woohoo! No pressure, of course.

Yay on integrating the flock! Your coop is so big that everyone should be able to get along ok-ish. That's how it is in my yard. There's still pecking, but there is more than enough room to get away from each other. They're only confined to a small space at night, and it's dark anyway, so there's no funny business going on.

Tonight, Garden #2 is officially going non-organic. I've had it. The squash bugs have moved on to my spaghetti squash, which are just beginning to ripen. I love the concept of organic produce, and I tried... but when it comes to losing a quarter of my family's winter food supply, IT"S ON! I'm just going to spray the areas with the bugs, anyway, and see if I can stop it where it is.

Oh ya, by the way, I think I might listen to you Missy and order from Mcmurray, because shipping for Meyer really is way to expensive!!! Mcmurray is only $15 for shipping and they sex the polishes, so you and chicharomirinda could still order with me!

Last edited:
Woohoo! No pressure, of course.

Yay on integrating the flock! Your coop is so big that everyone should be able to get along ok-ish. That's how it is in my yard. There's still pecking, but there is more than enough room to get away from each other. They're only confined to a small space at night, and it's dark anyway, so there's no funny business going on.

Tonight, Garden #2 is officially going non-organic. I've had it. The squash bugs have moved on to my spaghetti squash, which are just beginning to ripen. I love the concept of organic produce, and I tried... but when it comes to losing a quarter of my family's winter food supply, IT"S ON! I'm just going to spray the areas with the bugs, anyway, and see if I can stop it where it is.
well, don't beat yourself up about the non-organic. what you will do will be very minimal compared to commercial farming. about spaghetti squash, I have two that are very yellow. I'm assuming they are ready? do I just cut them off and they're ready to eat?

Lacy Blues, I've thought of that. And my friend is fine with me letting a few chickens run around his property. I'm worried about their safety, though. It's in a 3-foot chain link fence, with a busy street beside it, a convenience store in front of it, and a dog in the yard behind it. If it was my own yard, I could go out regularly and check on them, but it's a block from my house and my friend rarely goes out in his own yard.

Elizabeth, the best thing to do for winter squash is wait until the vine dries up. If you lift the fruit and it breaks easily off the vine, then it's ready. If you have to cut it off, then it's not all the way ripe. But if you do have to harvest it early, you can ripen it in a sunny window. And if the top is yellow but the underside is still green, then it has awhile to go yet. It seems like a really long wait (and it is) but cutting into a green fruit and tossing it is no fun!

tolipgirl, they still have buff laced pullets, so that's good for me! And BTW... anyone who wants to share your order should also be willing to pay their share of the shipping. Just saying.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom