Nevadans?

Hi everyone. I didn't know about this thread, or I forgot, I am getting old. Anyway I'm so glad that I have friends in the Reno Area.

I have some babies that I got 16 weeks ago. I am already checking for eggs from the White Leghorns. I hear that they can start laying a 18 weeks, I am anxiously waiting. Too early I know but I can't help it

Now that I have a source that lives in the same climate as I do...I do have some questions about winter and I know you locals can answer it for me. Do you have supplemental heat in your coops during the winter. And would I be overreacting if I did put a small heat lamp in there? Should it be in the inner coop or the run portion of the coop? I am going to surround the outer run with heavy clear plastic, leaving one side slightly opened for venting.

Unless we have another bitterly cold winter like last year don't add heat. I would say don't at all unless you start having issues with your birds. If they get used to having heat and aren't acclimated to the cold....if your power goes out you could lose your whole flock. I only put heat a few feet above them if it was below zero at night last year. They got sent to bed with a warm meal in their bellies and they huddle together. Our lowest nights were almost -30. The only two who had it rough were my leghorn and a huge combed mixed roo. The leghorn molted also, which didn't help her.

If your birds are feathered in, don't mess with them. :) Tough little things that need less help than we give them credit for. :) I also had broodies with fresh babies when it was only 20' as a high outside. The babies grow and feather out faster outside under mama.

Air circulation, dry, nice roosts...easy. ;)

Unless we have another bitterly cold winter like last year don't add heat. I would say don't at all unless you start having issues with your birds. If they get used to having heat and aren't acclimated to the cold....if your power goes out you could lose your whole flock. I only put heat a few feet above them if it was below zero at night last year. They got sent to bed with a warm meal in their bellies and they huddle together. Our lowest nights were almost -30. The only two who had it rough were my leghorn and a huge combed mixed roo. The leghorn molted also, which didn't help her.

If your birds are feathered in, don't mess with them.
smile.png
Tough little things that need less help than we give them credit for.
smile.png
I also had broodies with fresh babies when it was only 20' as a high outside. The babies grow and feather out faster outside under mama.

Air circulation, dry, nice roosts...easy.
wink.png

Thanks! I know I am a worrier. I tend to think in terms of my comfort....forgetting that these are FARM animals, not puppies, or people.

Thanks! I know I am a worrier. I tend to think in terms of my comfort....forgetting that these are FARM animals, not puppies, or people.

They are totally fine. Seriously. Dish up some warm oatmeal just before bed. They are totally content fluff balls. If it's bitter cold for days then just make up some more warm chicken concoctions to help get them warmed up through the day. Our girls are super spoiled. ......probably sickeningly so. Lol

Hi everyone. I didn't know about this thread, or I forgot, I am getting old. Anyway I'm so glad that I have friends in the Reno Area.

I have some babies that I got 16 weeks ago. I am already checking for eggs from the White Leghorns. I hear that they can start laying a 18 weeks, I am anxiously waiting. Too early I know but I can't help it.

These two darlings are called Latte and Caramel. They are Cream Legbars and they are really funny right now. They are 5 weeks now and ugly as you know what. But they have the cutest little bump on the top of their heads that I guess will be the crest? Looks really silly right now.

I have more pictures but I can't get them to upload .... I will try again later.

Now that I have a source that lives in the same climate as I do...I do have some questions about winter and I know you locals can answer it for me. Do you have supplemental heat in your coops during the winter. And would I be overreacting if I did put a small heat lamp in there? Should it be in the inner coop or the run portion of the coop? I am going to surround the outer run with heavy clear plastic, leaving one side slightly opened for venting.
Where did you get cream legbars!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

They are my new obsession but I do think the husband might kill me if I get more chickens...

Where did you get cream legbars!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

They are my new obsession but I do think the husband might kill me if I get more chickens...

I got them at My Pet Chicken. They are wonderful little girls.
love.gif
They are really flighty when they are babies. They are 5 weeks old on Monday and will be going outside soon. They are just now starting to wonder who I am. They are very curious chickens but also very leery of new things,
hide.gif
As if they have retained some of their "Wild" instincts. I am putting pictures so that you can see the little Puff of feathers on the top of their heads.
clap.gif
They looked different as chicks but now they are so close in color that I can barely tell them apart. They are right in that weird ugly phase.
celebrate.gif
I so love my Chickens I did not realize that I would become so attached. I bought three different batches and the first batch has two White leghorns that just started laying last week at just over 15 weeks which I think is really early, but Who am I? I am no expert.
lau.gif
So included in all three batches are; 2 white leghorns, 3 Easter Eggers, I buff orpinton, 1 Cockoo Maran, I Barred Plymouth Rock, 3 Blue Favaucana, 2 Delawares, 2Cream Legbars and 1 Jersey Giant. I plan to see which breeds I like the most and then get more of those next summer.
jumpy.gif
So far the Blue Favaucanas are the friendliest
D.gif
Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on. So I got them at my Pet Chicken and they were 49 dollars a piece.

I got them at My Pet Chicken. They are wonderful little girls.:love They are really flighty when they are babies. They are 5 weeks old on Monday and will be going outside soon. They are just now starting to wonder who I am. They are very curious chickens but also very leery of new things,:oops: As if they have retained some of their "Wild" instincts. I am putting pictures so that you can see the little Puff of feathers on the top of their heads.:clap They looked different as chicks but now they are so close in color that I can barely tell them apart. They are right in that weird ugly phase. :celebrate I so love my Chickens I did not realize that I would become so attached. I bought three different batches and the first batch has two White leghorns that just started laying last week at just over 15 weeks which I think is really early, but Who am I? I am no expert.:lau So included in all three batches are; 2 white leghorns, 3 Easter Eggers, I buff orpinton, 1 Cockoo Maran, I Barred Plymouth Rock, 3 Blue Favaucana, 2 Delawares, 2Cream Legbars and 1 Jersey Giant. I plan to see which breeds I like the most and then get more of those next summer. :jumpy So far the Blue Favaucanas are the friendliest :cd Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on. So I got them at my Pet Chicken and they were 49 dollars a piece.
I was hoping someone here was breeding them. They will be on my list for next year. Your flock is similar to mine. I have one Buff Orphington (who is the biggest pig) 4 barred rocks, 2 white Jersey giants (very pretty girls), 3 brown leghorns (very flighty), 2 welsummers, 1 light brahma, 2 easter eggers (had 3 but a neighbors dog kindly came in my yard and got one through the fence) and last but not least bantam splash polish rooster who currently has no tail or head feathers from the dog attack. No one is laying yet and I'm getting impatient. The first 12 listed are 21 weeks. Where are my eggs?!?!?!?!?!?! Lol

Back
Top Bottom