Nevadans?

Quote:
Wow that doesn't sound like fun at all! So glad you are mending now. Sending lots of positive energy your way for continued improvement (and no more set backs!).
hugs.gif

Knemeyer the only time I've seen yellow in my coop was when an egg broke after being laid from the roost (very common for first layers and yes the first eggs can be soft. This is normal). Are you sure that another hen did not also lay an egg from the roost and it broke when hitting the wall? Or maybe the night before? Don't know what the yellow might be if it's not a broken egg.
hmm.png

Quote:
That is the freshest take on "My dog has worms" I have ever heard.....

Tell me about it, I have never seen anything like it in my life. I had a huge pile of steer manure that I got from Longs for .33/bag two summers ago, over the course of it sitting out there with the rain etc. worms gravitated to it like crazy. Well when I got the girls they would go and dig through the bags looking for worms and eating so much they would make themselves sick. I had to lock everything up in totes and distribute everything really well throughout my yard to keep them out of it. I asked the vet about it because I was really concerned that they were going to get sick and die and he told me it is pretty common with most dogs.

My Dad has the same problem with his English Bull Terrier. It is one of the reasons that I had to start locking the dogs out of the chicken run when I go out every morning because they spend the whole time rooting for worms and chicken poop. Totally disgusting.

Eglyntine, SunnyDawn, HorseFeatherz - thank you so much for the well wishes! I appreciate it.
hugs.gif

Eglyntine you've really got my interest piqued about the worms! When I am up and around more, I hope you don't mind if I quiz you about it. That sounds like a project I definitely need to start myself!

shanyalv was that you that said you were going to try meaties? I'm thinking of trying some meaties myself this winter. What are you getting and where do you plan to get them from?

SunnyDawn, I think you're right. I will keep checking on her. I've added crushed egg shells to their food and just put a small feeder in there with the oyster shells. Hopefully that will help with the shells. Ginger was in her nest this morning, but I had to leave for my son's field trip. My mom was saying yesterday that she wanted to "find" an egg so I told her (she lives next door) that she could check for an egg later that morning. I called her when I got home and she was so excited she got to find it. She put it in a cup with some padding in the fridge. I told her she could keep it, but she said she would feel guilty breaking it open. Thought that was cute!

heyyyy sunny...i think my del has finally begun laying! i just love her. we have named her abigail <3 anywhoooo, she refuses to lay in the nesting boxes and actually somehow projected an egg out of her bum and it flew through the coop door and landed in our mudroom. i was really confused by that one....

anywhoooo, hope all are doing well!

Quote:
ENGLISH BULL TERRIER?!?!?!?!

photo23.jpg

i am a bully NUT. thats my boy Elvis watching over his girls.

bogieandelle004.jpg

thats him with our old bull terrier, Bogart.

omg now im going to be on a tangent. BEWARE.

here is elvis in various cute situations.

calendar010.jpg

calendar004.jpg

calendar002.jpg

calendar003.jpg

calendar011.jpg

Holy cow, i am SO SORRY. this is what happens whenever ANYONE mentions bull terriers. imagine the strangers on the street when i whip out my camera,
lau.gif

Quote:
Ron I already have them. I had one order last week and another this week too, they should be here tomorrow. I got Cornish Crosses from Welp and they were only like $1.56 each shipped with a min order of 25. Hope that your feeling better as well.

aubreynoramarie Oh I am so so so jealous of A. the beach and B. your Ghia !! I have one under permanent restoration in DH's yard. and lastly that is a beautiful dog. I always whip out my camera too when someone asks about Weims or Bengals or Doxies !

Eglyntine I will send you a PM about the worms.

Dh and I are going to start working on building my full on coop this weekend. Going to buy the Garden Coop plans and take it from there, started off with 11 birds and now I have 36 ( beyond the meaties since they don't count )

This should be the most interesting project yet.

Quote:
I do not mind at all, if you would like I can PM you some links that can get you started on at least learning how to raise them. I would stay away from the pre-built worm farm bins. They look like the miracle setup and I was pretty drawn to them when I first started out but then I got to researching more into the whole process, besides being pretty expensive to buy, you can build your own that is way more efficient, more sanitary and waaaay more cheaper.

Although I plan to be in full production by spring to be able to sell them full time I definitely do not mind helping get other ppl setup on their own. There are never enough worms in the world and I figure the only way we are going to turn this desert ground into the lush fertile soil it once used to be is to compost and increase the worm population.

Worms are an excellent food source for our birds and they can also make our yards a virtual free source of food and enjoyment of gardening for us and our animals.

shanyalv was that you that said you were going to try meaties? I'm thinking of trying some meaties myself this winter. What are you getting and where do you plan to get them from?

I checked out a few Hatcheries for the Meat birds and Purely Poultry has pretty good prices. I am a big fan of Ideal right now because my last two orders have been really awesome and their customer service is just out of this world but they are a little pricey on their Meaties $1.77 for 1-24 and $1.67 for 25-49. Personally I like having the dual purpose birds just because you can hatch your own meat and they tend to get a lot bigger than the typical "meat" birds. But if you want just strictly meat birds Purely has some pretty good prices:

Purely Poultry Cornish Cross Broilers St. Run

Their Cornish Rock Cross chickens for sale are same type of chicken that commercial poultry industry uses to produce the chicken meat for sale at the grocery store.

Size: Males 6 lbs. & Females 5 lbs. @ 6 weeks or less
Price:
25-99 - $1.23/ea
100-199 - $1.01/ea
200+ - $0.99​

Back
Top Bottom