Nevadans?

Sheryl, I was reading on one of the breed threads about someone who mixes flock raiser or game bird feed with layer feed. that bumps up the protein a bit but reduces the cost. You might do some calculations on that to see what you'd get. i bought farmer's best layer to feed my group. the younger pullets are old enough for layer now. I had been using flockraiser, either purina or nutrena and both were $19 something. it just gets so expensive. In the fall when my older group goes into molt, I may go back to flockraiser or game bird for awhile.

I was thinking the same thing. I found Swanson Breeder feed and it has the correct amount of everything and it's safe for roosters and younger ones too and the cost is around $13.50. John's great uncle is calling his brother in Yerington to find out what they are feeding their flocks there and how much the feed is since we do go to Yerington every so often we can buy it there and store it here. It would be great to visit family more often anyways. Ron, Farmer's Best is good too except I haven't found the ap any where around here and I don't know how much it costs. If anyone wants me to pick up feed for them when we go, if it's cheaper that is and better feed, just let me know. I read on the Purina website their flock raiser is going to be $21.50 a bag now and that is way too much.

I was thinking the same thing. I found Swanson Breeder feed and it has the correct amount of everything and it's safe for roosters and younger ones too and the cost is around $13.50. John's great uncle is calling his brother in Yerington to find out what they are feeding their flocks there and how much the feed is since we do go to Yerington every so often we can buy it there and store it here. It would be great to visit family more often anyways. Ron, Farmer's Best is good too except I haven't found the ap any where around here and I don't know how much it costs. If anyone wants me to pick up feed for them when we go, if it's cheaper that is and better feed, just let me know. I read on the Purina website their flock raiser is going to be $21.50 a bag now and that is way too much.

I think I'm paying $14 for a #50 bag at the hay and grain out here.
Could get feed then come to McDonalds.

Hi.. not from Nevada.. however I was directed here to meet some folks who have bunnies? Hopefully not intruding. I'm looking to chat with anyone who's got buns and can offer up some advice on hutch design..

thanks so much,
Nancie

Sunny or Elizabeth (or both) found Farmer's Best somewhere around Reno and I seem to recall they said it was $13 or $14 a 50lb. bag.

Went out to feed my birds this AM and there was a large scorpion by the entrance to their run. I tried to shoo it away but instead it went into the run. Was that ever a mistake! A chicken instantly snatched it up and then it was Keystone Cops as they all chased that one around tearing at it. Anyway, they apparently gobbled it up. I hope it doesn't cause them any issues!

I can see the roo-ishness in the sussex and cochin. It's kind of a relief that I'm not seeing any redness in any of the combs here yet, other than the hamburg. On the brahma, though... I agree on the posture, but the feathering really isn't any different from my girl. Maybe the picture is from the wrong angle, but I don't see much difference.

I'm looking at this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/169790/brahma-thread/80 and thinking it's a pullet.

I'm hoping my naked neck isn't a roo. She has thick legs and stands differently, but has been built differently from the very beginning. No clue yet on the silkie. The brabanter is still looking like a pullet, but the roos don't have that much difference... just a lot of red in the face. She's very quirky, though, jumping all around.

My cochin is a lot lighter color than yours. I'm happy with that. She's a kind of a cross between a blue and a lavender.
that photo you linked to does give me hope. her feathering is similar to mine. the comb on mine is slightly pink. well, I will hold out a little hope. she/he's the friendliest chick so far. I think you are in the clear on your sussex and cochin. comparing my pairs side by side, it's quite clear to see. I don't have a clue on my silkies either. the combs are all quite small so far.
Hi.. not from Nevada.. however I was directed here to meet some folks who have bunnies? Hopefully not intruding. I'm looking to chat with anyone who's got buns and can offer up some advice on hutch design..

thanks so much,
Nancie
welcome! there are a couple of folks with bunnies. gaited horse, seth, americanvalkyrie, and wolftracks...
Sunny or Elizabeth (or both) found Farmer's Best somewhere around Reno and I seem to recall they said it was $13 or $14 a 50lb. bag.

Went out to feed my birds this AM and there was a large scorpion by the entrance to their run. I tried to shoo it away but instead it went into the run. Was that ever a mistake! A chicken instantly snatched it up and then it was Keystone Cops as they all chased that one around tearing at it. Anyway, they apparently gobbled it up. I hope it doesn't cause them any issues!
cool chicken scorpion hunters you have!
lol.png

Green's has farmer's best layer. It's 13.90 . I don't think it's quite the formulation you're looking for sheryl. but i'm using that for awhile to save $.

I meant to quote sheryl's post but oh well. sheryl, If you find a good feed at reasonable price somewhere else, I'd be interested in getting a few bags.

Last edited:
I think you're right about my brahma being a pullet, Missy. I searched a few more threads to see some cockerel pictures. the males come in with more black and white feathers with a solid black chest. But mine has the pencilled feathering which is how pullets look. Yay!

Feed World carries Swanson's brand. I don't know that they have the breeder feed but they may be able to order it for you. I have gotten Swansons chick starter and layer feed a few times there.

After a week of letting the broody Mama bring her 11 chicks out of the grow out pen into a makeshift run where everyone could get a gander at the newbies, I took down the fencing and off she went with 11 fuzzy butts in tow! Mama #2 is still keeping her perimeter post and tending to any wanderers. They are taking them all over the property!

Yesterday they were so far from their coop that I thought I should offer the chicks some water but by the time I could get a bowl the two mama's had taken them back to the coop for a drink! They're amazing moms!

At night they're so cute trying to get a spot under mom! She's spread out as big as she can and the chicks look like garnish surrounding her! Their butts underneath and their heads pocking out! It's a lot of chicks for one mom, good thing it's been warm, although its raining today. The other mom is not allowed in the brooder, she sleeps in the coop with the rest of the chickens but keeps her post guarding the perimeter all day!

So, that's what's going on at High 'N Dry Farm. I saw my surgeon on Thursday and I'm not released to work or drive....really fighting depression right now. Same farm, different day.....

You guys really did a number on my Markie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked and amazed and so filled with love right now. for our fifth anniversary Markie got down on one knee in the 8iddle of venice beach and asked me to marry him. I cant wait to show you guys the ring, its adorable and I am still recouping, lol. Ill get back to yall tomorrow!!!
love.gif
YAY!!!

That's so sweet!!!

Back
Top Bottom