Never Ending Predators

Robert G

Songster
5 Years
Jan 23, 2018
South Texas
This is my third year with my flock, and I have learned so much about predators. My first year, I started with 6 bantams and they free ranged my back yard freely. All I had was a chain link fence without any issues. Once they started laying and hatching chicks the first attack happened. A chicken hawk grabbed one of the chicks right in front me. So until I could upgrade my fence I would only let them out when I was home and kept and eye out. I didn't have any issues until the following year when 2 stray dogs found a way in through my fence in the front yard and found my chickens in the back and just chewed as many as they could catch a leave them there. Lost 10 that day in just seconds. So I did the electric fence and it worked. No more dogs and all seemed to be at peace again. Towards the end of the year I added a wooden fence to the backyard and had to take down the electric wire down for a bit. Then all of a sudden stray cats started showing up and were snatching my bantams because they looked like small birds. I built them a large run 20 feet by 60 feet using 6 feet tall welded fence with 2x4 inch rectangles. So that kept the cats out and eventually all was at peace again. Now these last 2 months I've had some losses due to opossums! They are able to squeeze through those 2x4 rectangles. So I'm about to re-install my electric fence again. Has anyone had success with this type of protection against opposums? Sorry for the long story.

A HOT WIRE keeps most predators out. Many peeps also BAIT their Hot Wire to encourage the predators to give it a Taste of JOULES.
I never had an issue with opossums, even though I have them . Most of my problems were caused by raccoons. I also have skunks, and they never bothered my chickens or me.
Opossums are mainly interested in food that they can eat. If desperate, chickens would be next option.
Bacon, and Chicken skins are a good bait for Hot wire.
In your location, snakes are also a predator. Hot Wire solves them also.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

A HOT WIRE keeps most predators out. Many peeps also BAIT their Hot Wire to encourage the predators to give it a Taste of JOULES.
I never had an issue with opossums, even though I have them . Most of my problems were caused by raccoons. I also have skunks, and they never bothered my chickens or me.
Opossums are mainly interested in food that they can eat. If desperate, chickens would be next option.
Bacon, and Chicken skins are a good bait for Hot wire.
In your location, snakes are also a predator. Hot Wire solves them also.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Well I reinstalled the electric fence and we shall see what happens. also set a live trap outside the run as a backup. I've already caught 4 of them in the last 2 months!

So sorry, it sounds like typical chicken/ predator adventures to me. The bad guys all show up, and it's rebuilding to make things safer, and a lot of swearing and rebuilding.
All the best,
Mary

Thanks Mary. The bad part is I live in town and didn't expect hawks and opossums but like you said, just some swearing and rebuilding will get things safe again.

Thanks Mary. The bad part is I live in town and didn't expect hawks and opossums but like you said, just some swearing and rebuilding will get things safe again.
Being in town has nothing to do with it. Downtown Chicago is considered the coyote capital of the world. Toronto is the raccoon capital of the world.
Raptors can be virtually anywhere in the world.
I'm on the edge of a large metropolitan area. People in the more urban part of the region have encountered bobcats, weasels and have foxes raising kits in their backyard.
I've lost birds to mink, fox, coyote, opossum, raccoon and hawk.
Black bears and mountain lions have been spotted in the suburbs here.
If you build it - they will come.

Downtown Chicago is considered the coyote capital of the world.
I :love dem doggies:):oops: JK.
They also moved into the suburbs where I'm at.
We have of course the standard ration of opossums, raccoons, hawks, and skunk.
Are VERY PROUD (not) of the coyotes, and just an occasional fox.
Coyotes tend to hunt during night, while fox does both day and night.
Fortunate, not to have Bobcats, weasels, and mink. (have heard of mink not very far from my area)
There is an occasional groundhog in the neighborhood, but they are not a chicken predator. :thumbsup
Today Evening News had a coyote chase a 5 year old girl in front of her home. Nothing happened, but the home video monitor showed the encounter.

This is my third year with my flock, and I have learned so much about predators. My first year, I started with 6 bantams and they free ranged my back yard freely. All I had was a chain link fence without any issues. Once they started laying and hatching chicks the first attack happened. A chicken hawk grabbed one of the chicks right in front me. So until I could upgrade my fence I would only let them out when I was home and kept and eye out. I didn't have any issues until the following year when 2 stray dogs found a way in through my fence in the front yard and found my chickens in the back and just chewed as many as they could catch a leave them there. Lost 10 that day in just seconds. So I did the electric fence and it worked. No more dogs and all seemed to be at peace again. Towards the end of the year I added a wooden fence to the backyard and had to take down the electric wire down for a bit. Then all of a sudden stray cats started showing up and were snatching my bantams because they looked like small birds. I built them a large run 20 feet by 60 feet using 6 feet tall welded fence with 2x4 inch rectangles. So that kept the cats out and eventually all was at peace again. Now these last 2 months I've had some losses due to opossums! They are able to squeeze through those 2x4 rectangles. So I'm about to re-install my electric fence again. Has anyone had success with this type of protection against opposums? Sorry for the long story.

Back
Top Bottom