Never ever going to get a coop

How about talking to your ag teacher at the high school. They may have a shop class that can help you. You would just provide the materials and they do the labor. A local church might be able to help as well. I am SURE that someone near you would be thrilled to help. I would!
big_smile.png

When I lived at home my Dad was the same as yours--He never helped and he was only interested in doing what HE wanted. Plain and simple he was selfish. You can't let him rob you of your joy---try to build your coop anyway with advice from these great BYCers. If he says it's wrong, who cares, it's not for him and if he wanted it different he should've helped. I feel your pain, but one day you will be grown and you won't have to worry about all of this.
big_smile.png

Another option is to call around for a couple wooden shipping crates.
Many factories have things delivered in them, and they throw them out..
if you call around and explain the situation, maybe someone would deliver them! then all you have to do is connect them, cut out a chicken door and add a door for you to go in and out (&clean) and that can be just a piece of plywood on hinges!

For heat- a clamp light with a red lamp-bulb inside is enough-- just make sure you secure it so it can't fall... an eye-hook in the wall works well.

I agree that you may want to give away about 1/3-1/2 your birds.. but do you get a lot of eggs?? "Dad" may miss them eggs- you may want to remind him of that... then say "I think maybe I'll trade someone some of the chickens for a coop"... just see what he says.

I am sorry your dad is like that-- unfortunately, many men think girls always do that type of thing "wrong" just because we work differently than they do. Next time say... I'm sorry, I am doing the best I can on my own, but I'm sure I'd do a lot better if you'd show me the right way...

don't be "snitty" -just sweet & matter of fact... sometimes it works....

Do you have an older male cousin, or a friend with a big brother that would come help you? Sometimes seeing another "male" working on something THEY should be doing will motivate them to help...

but only sometimes.

Good Luck hun!

Quote:
[Off thread:]

Thanks for that quote Pat. I think if I use that phrase at work rather than " What the blankety-blank are you trying to do, kill someone?" it might go a long way to sounding more professional in an engineering setting.

Wayne

Not sure how old you are, but if you're in High School or Jr High, go to the wood shop class teacher (if you have one) and see if they'll build you one as a project. When I was in Jr high our wood shop class build a really nice play house, all the classes worked on it. You know it'll be done right and look nice.

Sometimes Dad's get very busy. I know my daughter has to set up "dates" with my husband. He just has so many things going on in his mind these days. That and a little ADHD! Maybe you could tell him how much you would like him to help you and could you have a weekly date time to plan and build the coop.

LOVE the dog house idea. Hey, talk to lots of people about wanting a coop. I was saying something about hunting on craigslist fora coop and got some FREE coops. They were for homing pidgeons but hey they will be great for my silkies we're getting at the end of the month.

If you really have to do it alone. How about starting off with building a smaller version of what you want. Then when you get your confidence up and more experience you can go larger.

My dad is letting me clean out the shed and fix it up a bit and maybe use it as a coop.
big_smile.png
It needs a little work but it will do I think we may put a wall in the back and put the car parts behind that and use the rest of the shed for the chickens. Ive been working on it today and yesterday it was bad a big animal nest in the back and rats, lots of cleaning. I really do not know why my dad needs all this junk. He keeps this old antique searchlight because he likes it and a antique chair that has a hole right through the seat, and bikes he never uses.

Random982.jpg

Random981.jpg

The old searchlight I moved myself (gahhh its heavy)

Random980.jpg

This is ALMOST all the stuff I removed from the shed, I had to wear a mask because the dust and mouse droppings will make you sick.

Being a very independant woman that was raised by a Mom that did everything around the house, I'm thinking why don't you ask your Mom for help?

If that's not an option, I'd ask the nice neighbor.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom