Never fear, I is here

danrak

Chirping
Jan 16, 2019
Florida
And I will have a load of questions eventually. You will soon roll your eyes and say: Oh no, not him again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Got our first chickens during black Friday weekend. I wish someone told me don't go to Rural King that weekend. They sold out quick I was told. So when we went Saturday selection was low.

I did have ducks when I was young and lived on Long Island. That was many, many moons ago, and I do not remember much. I still remember the smell of the duck farm down the street from the school on a hot day however.

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

16. Yes, we really jumped in. *facepalm*

(3) What breeds do you have?

I wish I knew honestly. Part of the reason I am here. I know I have some buffs, and New Jersey blacks, and some silkies because my wife thinks they are cute. I believe two Ameraucana. Between me wanting egg layers or meat birds, the wife and three kids went for looks. That is how we ended up with 16.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I get eggs from my neighbors and always enjoyed fresh eggs. And meat. Meat is good. But I'm still too new to really say what is my favorite. I do enjoy watching them however. They can be funny.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm married with children, what are hobbies? I like going to the range, but haven't been in far too long. I think I only got out fishing on the kayak less then a 6 times last year. I have a puzzle that has been sitting around for about a month now just laughing at me. And I still haven't finished my garden since we moved in here.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, like I said, I'm married with children. Wife home schools one child, the other two attend school. Long story about my wife leading a revolt at our daughters school.

We currently have two dogs. Although my dog is on her way out it seems. She is showing her age.

We also have four rabbits. We did have more but the wife's dog got two last year. Three girls and one boy is left.

I am somewhat retired from being a website owner, although still play around more as a hobby. I've also been called the greatest landlord to a slumlord before. And last year I picked up a seasonal job for our local mosquito control district.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I've heard about it through various places in the past. I guess now that I got chickens I should join instead of lurking as a guest the past few months.

Attachments

• 20190116_174117.jpg
    20190116_174117.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 18
And I will have a load of questions eventually. You will soon roll your eyes and say: Oh no, not him again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Got our first chickens during black Friday weekend. I wish someone told me don't go to Rural King that weekend. They sold out quick I was told. So when we went Saturday selection was low.

I did have ducks when I was young and lived on Long Island. That was many, many moons ago, and I do not remember much. I still remember the smell of the duck farm down the street from the school on a hot day however.

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

16. Yes, we really jumped in. *facepalm*

(3) What breeds do you have?

I wish I knew honestly. Part of the reason I am here. I know I have some buffs, and New Jersey blacks, and some silkies because my wife thinks they are cute. I believe two Ameraucana. Between me wanting egg layers or meat birds, the wife and three kids went for looks. That is how we ended up with 16.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I get eggs from my neighbors and always enjoyed fresh eggs. And meat. Meat is good. But I'm still too new to really say what is my favorite. I do enjoy watching them however. They can be funny.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm married with children, what are hobbies? I like going to the range, but haven't been in far too long. I think I only got out fishing on the kayak less then a 6 times last year. I have a puzzle that has been sitting around for about a month now just laughing at me. And I still haven't finished my garden since we moved in here.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, like I said, I'm married with children. Wife home schools one child, the other two attend school. Long story about my wife leading a revolt at our daughters school.

We currently have two dogs. Although my dog is on her way out it seems. She is showing her age.

We also have four rabbits. We did have more but the wife's dog got two last year. Three girls and one boy is left.

I am somewhat retired from being a website owner, although still play around more as a hobby. I've also been called the greatest landlord to a slumlord before. And last year I picked up a seasonal job for our local mosquito control district.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I've heard about it through various places in the past. I guess now that I got chickens I should join instead of lurking as a guest the past few months.
Hey! Welcome aboard! You will love it here, lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people who will answer just about any question or help with any problem. Good info and good social forums if you just want to say "hi" and talk about your day.
GroupWelcome.gif

Welcome to the site! As a heads up, since you got your chicks from a box store there's a real chance your "ameraucanas" are actually easter eggers. Still beautiful birds with good personalities. Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up. I really have to post a what breed topic. Especially for this one, I love his look.

Welcome to BYC - question away. The 'he' you pictured is a she.

Thank you. So it is a she? I posted in the forum " What breed" and it was suggested it is an Easter Egger. It is a bit larger then its partner. I have been reading more on the breed. Seems like, if I understand correction they are a mixxed breed, which maybe contributes why one is larger then another. So much to learn still. Either way I love the coloring.

A side note, the direct neighbor that has chickens and has given us extra eggs from time to time complains about a rooster around the corner. I joked with my wife if this was a rooster I'm keeping it anyway due to the color.

Back
Top Bottom