NEVER GET THIS BREED

Chicken boy 1156

Songster
May 16, 2023
HN Mississippi
Ok so we have Pierre and he is a silver laced Wyandotte x black copper Maran roo and he has been acting bad lately so he’s not in the pecking order he’s kinda a loner but they are scared of you but they only hurt your hens we are probably gonna give him away or sell him sooner or later but he got MEAN. What can I do until we get rid of him.
image.jpg
Hes the one with the orange band on his leg he looks pureBCM but we watched him hatch out ofSLW egg

That's a mix, not a breed. However, he looks like he's a young one. He's likely getting into the Hormonal Idiot phase. Lasts until he's about 18 months. Options:

1. Put him in with older ladies (and an experienced roo) and they'll thump him into being semi-smart.
2. Isolate him and have him get worse (they're not meant to be alone).
3. Make a bachelor pen and put several roos in there.
4. Rehome him.
5. Freezer camp.

I have chicken jail for misbehaving boys. It's a see but no touch setup so nobody gets too lonely but they also can't bother anyone while incarcerated. I use a large dog kennel inside my existing run so some socialization still is allowed. I could see doing it with something more mobile, like a wire dog crate with fixed food and water supply in a cool area, for a short time as well, but longer term they need dust bathing space, grass, etc. like everyone else does.

That's a mix, not a breed. However, he looks like he's a young one. He's likely getting into the Hormonal Idiot phase. Lasts until he's about 18 months. Options:

1. Put him in with older ladies (and an experienced roo) and they'll thump him into being semi-smart.
4. Rehome him.
I would consider these.
He is with all of our chickens and he’s beating up the older ladies he challenges our dominant roo and he will get wooped so he’s kinda cookoo.
If he gets into a fight with the lead rooster he will get wooped and that will teach him to respect all the ladies and it will put him in his place. As rural mouse said, he is in the cuckoo Hormonal Idiot phase. Getting wooped by the lead rooster will do him good, just make sure he does not seriously injure him. :D

4. Rehome him.
5. Freezer camp
I added 2 cockerels to my hen only flock so they'll grow up with older hens .Best option if you need roosters.

Back
Top Bottom