1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never Give UP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimnjay, Mar 9, 2007.

1. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    We have all heard about chicks taking 23 and 24 days to hatch and today I had one do just that. I could not believe my eyes. I was pretty sure this much abused Silkie egg would not hatch. It had been shuffled between two broodies and had gotten cold twice. I candled yesterday and saw a little peep moving in there and I put it back in the incubator with eggs that are due tomorrow.

That little guy just unzipped that shell in the most perfect circle I have ever seen. It is inside chirping up a storm. Picutres to follow. I hope the guys that hatched on time will accept it. I may keep it seperate for a day and add it to the ones that are due tomorrow that way it will be well recovered and ready to fend for itself. After all its been through, I have no doubt that it will make it ok. [​IMG]

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Yay! [​IMG]
    I also had a chick hatch out two days after its siblings, and the little gal never looked back. Now she's the biggest of the bunch!

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Yeah, great story, jimnjay! Definately post pics!

and BTW, chickbea, your avatar pic is too scrumptious!

4. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What a week, I too had a chick hatch at 24 days and to top it off, the other egg was chirping for 2 more days (26) and finally I decided to open it up, this was yesterday, and out popped a baby with wing feathers already growing in. The reason she hadn't hatched was because she was breech. I believe the only reason she didn't die is because I put a pin hole in the shell at 24 days because she hadn't pipped herself yet. These eggs were under a broody silkie who left them to get cold all day twice while she sat on another nest. I took the eggs out of the nest and put them in the incubator at 16 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by