never had turkeys before

This is my tom Cloud. He was already full grown when I got him so I don't know how old he is, is there any way of telling?

40485_cloud.jpg

My turkeys follow me everywhere and yes, they would come in the house if allowed. They jump up on the porch swing with me. Very docile. I have 5 bronze and a bourbon red.

Your tom is lovely bluegem (the show-off). He looks like a broad-breasted variety? Certainly he is more than a few months old.

I think they measure the length of the beard in wild turkeys to see how old a tom they caught. My 2.5 year old tom's beard is about 6 inches long whereas the 1 year olds are only like 2-3 inches long.

The problem with measuring the beard is I think poor Cloud got his caught in a fence or something because he had one when I got him and now he doesn't. He is full grown he wieghs about 9kg (sorry don't know how much that is in pounds) yet I can still pick him up and give him a hug (with difficulty) and my bronze tom Storm is even bigger.

They're giant and gentle but will still peck the dogs if they get in the way.

I had two girls sitting on a clutch of eggs each and now just yesterday a third started sitting. There's gonna be little baby Storms and Clouds everywhere.
wee.gif

I'm, well Hubby is getting a young turkey with the plan to fatten for x-mas (can't see that happening) But as a Newbie to Turkeys I am wondering how high the yard walls will have to be and will it need to be "caged" over top as well?

Also it will share a part of the fence with the hens will this pose a problem or health risk to either party?

Last edited:
I am raising 24 bronze turkeys for Thanksgiving. I have been letting them freerange since they were poults. They are about 6 months. Theyare now in lockdown, feeding them a diet heavy in corn to fatten them up for the holidays.

They are very curious animals and love to socialize, great fun to have around but very messy. We had to close up our garage and hose off the cement drive everyday and they can smell too.

Will raise more next year, but will keep the numbers lower.

Toredano they are coconuts lots and lots and lots of coconuts. We know the local treelopper and living in the tropics means there's a lot of coconut trees around so when about 80 trees had to be denutted we got all the nuts:D The animals love them I have over 100 chooks, ducks and turkeys plus 3 dogs that all get their fair share of coconut. It's great for their feathers and coats and also keeping them occupied so they don't start pecking at eachother when they're caged.

Lupinelass I caught my turkeys up on the roof a few times so when they got down I just clipped the flight feathers off one wing. Since then only 1 has been up on the roof and that was because she learnt to climb a ladder. Very funny to watch. I think the highest part in my fence is about 5 feet high and they don't get out.

Do anyone elses turkeys gobble when the dog barks? coz my bronze does.

Back
Top Bottom