Never hatched one like this before!

So a broody stole a nest under a Bush and presented me with 6 adorable mixed breed chicks. They are about a month old now and I realized today one of the chicks has one blond wing and one black wing. The down under the wings is also yellow on one side black on the other.
I have had chickens for 50 years and never gotten a non-symectrical feathering on a chicken.
Anybody ever seen anything like this?
View attachment 2260867View attachment 2260868
Pretty!

Nope, never seen anything that dramatic. Main reason I'm posting is so I get any updates.

Sometimes when you cross a chicken that has five toes with a chicken that has four toes you get a chick with a different number of toes on each foot. Sometimes when you get "leakage" you can get small differences in feathers from one side to the other but I've never seen that dramatic difference in feather color one side to the other.

I have seen patterns in juvenile feathers that don't show up in the adult plumage. Mottling for example, but that is just a few feathers in the juvies. I've seen some dramatic changes in feathers when a hen goes through an adult molt. It will be interesting to see that chick as it goes through juvenile and adult molts.

Yes, Two Tone was purchased at a feed store out of a pullet bin. Over the next weeks, she became very pretty and had very unusual pattern. Well, you usually don't talk about a pullet being pretty so guess what? Two Tone was a boy and a chimera! He was a sweet boy with two male halves. Sometimes they get one female, one male half! Here are photos of our boy, we lost him last year :( He was 7 years old. His baby picture, then both sides and a front view :)
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG
900x900px-LL-25bc2911_20140424_175914.jpeg
IMG_0617.jpg

Yes, Two Tone was purchased at a feed store out of a pullet bin. Over the next weeks, she became very pretty and had very unusual pattern. Well, you usually don't talk about a pullet being pretty so guess what? Two Tone was a boy and a chimera! He was a sweet boy with two male halves. Sometimes they get one female, one male half! Here are photos of our boy, we lost him last year :( He was 7 years old. His baby picture, then both sides and a front view :)

Wow he was beautiful!

I have read it can be a real problem for them if they are half male and half female, apparently when it happens to wild song birds the little guys become lonely because they can't attract partners (they don't look like or behave like either gender).

Back
Top Bottom