Never thought I would be going through the compost pile

punkin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
East Tennessee
catching crickets for chickens. Although I'm sure it was pretty funny for anyone who happened to see me. I am not much of a cricket catcher. Even my DH got in on the fun.

We moved one of the compost pile to make room for a new chicken coop. As we were forking it over, crickets ran everywhere. I started thinking, chickens in run - free protein - fun to watch. So I grabbed a 3 gallon bucket and we ended up catching about 20. We dumped them in the run and the chase was on, for about 20 seconds.

You aren't by yourself. My DH catches grasshoppers. He will also go around turning over brush, logs or whatever for them.

I tried that same thing and not with much luck
lol.png
Then I tried to move the chickens to the crickets. Well, they were so freaked out about being carried that they all ran away.
lol.png
The other day when they were rangeing for a while I noticed that they finally discovered the crickets at the compost pile.
tongue.png

Quote:
We caught them by hand. Sometimes you can just cup your hand over them and slide your other hand under. A few we just pinched between our thumb and forefinger from behind. They are fast, though. You just gotta stick with them.

Quote:
Yea, but only for about 20 seconds or so.
wink.png
(Or are you talking about me & DH catching them? That would have been the funny video.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom