Never Too Late to Try Something Old

Bs Birds

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up a Depression Baby (the BIG one) with chickens in the back yard and fried chicken dinner every Sunday. But I am fairly new to actually raising my own after all these years. Got my first hens in the fall of 2012.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I am hooked, totally enchanted. I have about 35 adults, and a bunch of chicks coming on this spring. I sell eggs at a couple of local food markets, and will work up to producing meat birds. I also hope to supply small quantities of heritage breed chicks to a growing army of nature-oriented DIYers (It's hard to buy just a few birds at a reasonable price.)

(3) What breeds do you have?
Heritage breeds. Black Langshans, Araucanas, Salmon Faverolles, Delawares, Welsummers, Dominiques, Buff Orpingtons. I will cull breeds as I find the most productive and satisfactory ones.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Internet searches. You come up everywhere.

(5) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a retired senior citizen, with a son, a daughter, two adult and two teen grandchildren. I live in a rural area with two cats for entertainment, and get to putter in a greenhouse and garden. I am pursuing incorporating the chickens into the garden environment as "helpers". I was always "mother, the health food nut" and still prefer the flavors of old time, unfussed with food. Same goes for life. Just fell in love with Miranda Lambert's new recording "Automatic."

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, sounds like you have been around the block a few times in life! A lot of us seemed to have joined BYC because every time you google a question it always leads you to BYC. This place is just loaded with the knowledge and expertise.

If you have any questions about anything, that is what we are here for. So pull up a roost bar and make yourself at home. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYU. I also am a senior citizen and besides being a musician, I also have chickens for a hobby. Life is good. (So far).

Back
Top Bottom