Nevermind.............................

Your hen and chicks are acclimated to your home- even if it is a dark basement. To be exposed to extremely cold outdoor temps will put a huge amount of stress on her. She will be burdened with the job of heating herself as well as heating and caring for her chicks. I suggest you move them outside for short periods, increasing through the day until she is outside for several hours at a time. As long as the temps still go below freezing at night I think it is taxing and stressful to her to be outside all night without a heat lamp.

I would not be willing to risk my hens health nor the chicks.

I am in central Va. It gets down below 20 here at night. A lone hen with chicks would suffer in my weather. I would not move her just yet.

Congrats on a broody with chicks.

I have been offline most of the weekend and am playing catch up. I hope this helps.

I'm sorry. I can't help because I have never had a hen who has hatched out chicks. Did you have a different subject line initially or did you change it after you sorta "gave up"?

I don't understand why you aren't getting any responses, either, but I'm sure it is not intentional toward you.

Im sorry that you didnt receive many replies to your question. Im also sorry that I cant help you but I live in a warmer climate and dont have experience with your type of weather.
Usually Im inclined to trust the momma hen to take care of her chicks, however, if they are very valuable to you, then you might want to raise them inside just to be safe.

Chel

I had a broody hatch in Nov/Dec but I brought the babies in the house, so I am not much help either, but, I would think if the area you are putting them is secure they should be fine with the hen during the day and you are putting them up at night. I also understand about the posts not being responded to, but, I can always guarantee that one person will reply to one of my post and that person knows who they are, to you I say, Thx.

In CT too and it really is cold out there. I wish I had a suggestion for you. I'm brand new to chicks and have never had a hen hatch any. Sorry Tiff! Hope someone can help soon!

I'm sorry. I can't help because I have never had a hen who has hatched out chicks. Did you have a different subject line initially or did you change it after you sorta "gave up"?

I don't understand why you aren't getting any responses, either, but I'm sure it is not intentional toward you.

Yeah--after I gave up.

I kept her in. Thanks for the input. I know I am being silly but you are restoring my faith....and patting my back even though I am being bratty.
smile.png
Thank you.​

I suspect you're just worried about your babies. I was in a similar state when I was watching my little ones gobble down pine shavings. I wanted someone to tell me it was going to be fine. It was hard to wait for an answer.

Back
Top Bottom