Nevermind

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DinosRBirds, Feb 1, 2011.

1. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Never Mind , I Don't Want Anyone To Hurt Their Chicks , Sorry For The Nuisance.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Actually, that is not possible with all chickens, especially bantams. Plus, it is not as easy as just looking at their vent. You need to actually squeeze it open and looking at that little tiny bum is a lot harder than you make it sound. And, if you are not properly trained in doing this, you can hurt or even kill your chick.

So, I will stick to waiting until they show signs of being one gender or the other, or until they crow or lay an egg. They are fun to watch grow.

3. DinosRBirds

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    I guess I did make it sound too easy:..............., but, yeah, you're right. Plus, I luv watching them grow

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, yeah, I would never advise people, especially new owners, to vent sex their chicks. It takes a lot of experience, know-how, and expertise. You could hurt your chick, and bantams you can't even do it very well with. There's a reason hatcheries offer bantams only in straight run. [​IMG]

And, it is not that easy to see male vs female. It doesn't just suddenly show up like that.

5. DinosRBirds

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:Jeez, stop nagging, I edited it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    DinosRBirds, love your name. Not sure about your attitude.[​IMG]

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:werd...

i don't think anyone's first post should be horrible advice and then say that we're nagging when in fact, correcting them before people go out and hurt/kill their chicks...

welcome to BYC, but tone it down... no one likes negative attention...

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Vent sexing takes years of practice on thousands of chicks.... even then it is not 100% accurate! For the vast majority of chicken owners I think ordering sexed pullets, started pullets, or waiting until the chicken crows or lays an egg is more then sufficient. Vent sexing can be dangerous for the young chick, and there are so many different shapes of the hoo hoos and hoo haws its hard to keep them all straight! One little paragraph doesn't even touch on the very basics of vent sexing. I don't think anyone here was trying to be rude, just helpful. [​IMG]

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    [​IMG]

As the female grows older, the process mill continue to regress . . . just as the questionable male organ will extend and grow larger. But you can't wait more than a day or two to vent sex a chick. It has to be done before the youngster eats and thus distends its lower alimentary tract.
    http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q … lg1gDu6zXQ

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  10. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    PHWOAAAAAAAAAAAARRR!
    never thought id see a pic of hugh laurie on the chicken forum...so that has made my day!!!

oh and id never recommend vent sexing to anyone let alone beginners......if you arent really experienced in that you can and will injure or even kill the chick....if you dont have the patient to wait and see what your chick will be...buy sexlinks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by