New 1.5 Year Old Rooster introduced to 10 hens.. Help

Chickadooo

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
Michigan
I brought home a rooster yesterday and kept him in an XL dog crate within the coop area so he could meet the hens , let him out at night to roost. Woke up and helped all of the hens wake up- roo got down from his roost and right away my few most dominant hens tried to start a fight and one hen even plucked some of his feathers. He was pretty rough back.

**Should I continue to keep him crated during the day, for a few days?** Or should I just let them get to it and let them figure their stuff out.

This is my first time with a rooster.

Thanks

Might be good to confine him for a few days.
Can depend on how much space you have.
He, and the girls, needs to be able to get away(6') to defuse any conflicts

This is the space I have

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_075831.jpg
    IMG_20200603_075831.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200603_075824.jpg
    IMG_20200603_075824.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200603_075816.jpg
    IMG_20200603_075816.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • JPEG_20200603_075903_6268332820555936497.jpg
    JPEG_20200603_075903_6268332820555936497.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Do they free range?
You could let the girls free range and let in the coop and run to explore without being harassed.
What does coop space look like?

Do they free range?
You could let the girls free range and let in the coop and run to explore without being harassed.
What does coop space look like?

No they don't free range right now, I need to put up a new fence in the back yard, we have dogs down the road that have attacked one.

No they don't free range right now, I need to put up a new fence in the back yard, we have dogs down the road that have attacked one.
Too bad, the smaller space, the harder the integration.
Can you fit that crate into the run during the day and the coop at night?

Too bad, the smaller space, the harder the integration.
Can you fit that crate into the run during the day and the coop at night?
Yes I definitely could. I'm not opposed to letting them free range for a couple hours before it gets dark, I can stay out with them

Just one thing about the rooster: Did you quarantine him or get him tested for any sickness before he got close to the hens? If no, he might (depending on a lot of things and where you got him) carry a bad sickness that could spread to the hens.
Just a warning. :) Sorry but I can't help with your other question.

He won't leave the hens, I would let them out and all be together. There will be a few scuffles, but that will settle it. If you keep pulling them apart, then they just start over the next time you put them together.

You do have a lot of birds in rather a small area, do add some more clutter and more feed stations.

It is way too late to worry about quarantine, however, do check him carefully for mites or lice.

Mk

He won't leave the hens, I would let them out and all be together. There will be a few scuffles, but that will settle it. If you keep pulling them apart, then they just start over the next time you put them together.

You do have a lot of birds in rather a small area, do add some more clutter and more feed stations.

It is way too late to worry about quarantine, however, do check him carefully for mites or lice.

Mk
They have an entire coop that's even bigger than this run, I definitely don't think it's a small area for 11 birds

Back
Top Bottom