new 1611 auto turner doesn't seem to be working

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
I ordered my 2nd bator and turner from Cutler's supply and have been running them all day today to get them regulated for tonight (when I add eggs to it.) Well, since I've had the turner on, I've heard a little ratchety noise like something was stuck or something and everytime I look in, the racks are in the same position. I waited too long to call Cutler's and GQF about it. They are both closed now. But what do I do? Could those little cotter pins be preventing it from working right? What about if one of the racks is in the wrong slot at the end where there are different slots? Oh I just don't know what to do. The eggs have been resting since 9 am this morning-they were shipped. Can anyone help me with this dilemma? I've go the turner out of the bator right now, but still plugged in and I'm watching it and listening to it tick tick tick.....like a fast cock or something. My other one doesn't do that. It just runs quietly and turns the eggs.Agh!
Lisa

Like TOH says....check the little arm/hook.
smile.png

Causeeeeee Katy is the one that helped me figure out that was what was wrong the first time I ever used a turner!!.... lol
big_smile.png

yep- I did that. It is in the slot just like my other one. I compared them and they are identical, all the racks are in the same spots...That little hook, on the metal turny thing (sorry- I'm not mechanical at all!), isn't turning around at all. I can't even get it to move by hand. I suppose I could just put the eggs in their cartons into the bator, then tip them end to end a few times until I get in touch with Cutler or GQF. Is that what I'd do-tip the cartons end to end or side to side like the turner is?
Lisa

I'm not a handyman either or mechanic savy at all!!...If someone doesn't come up with an answer for you I would just set them in egg cartons too and I'd do it side to side like the turner does til you can get ahold of the companies...

If everything looks like it's in the same slots as your other one I'd go ahead and put them in cartons until you can get ahold of them. I don't think you're supposed to be able to turn the little arm by hand. It's hard to know what else to tell you when we can't see it.

Thanks friends:)
I've got them in 2 cartons 29 eggs in all right now and they will take awhile to come up to temp. I'll go ahead and tip side to side in a few hours. And be on the phone at 8 am tomorrow to GQF. Also, my 17 yr old son will come home from work at 10:00 tonight and maybe figure it out. He is the mechanical one in the family. (my brother is too, but he's 6 hours away. )
Thanks again!
Lisa

With the clicking noise it almost makes me think that something isn't quite catching inside the motor to move the arm. I'm no mechanic either....I hope your son can figure it out for you....or they send you a new ASAP.

I called GQF at 8 am this morning and she asked me a few questions...and they are sending me a new motor! Yay! I only called them instead of Cutler's b/c GQF opens an hour earlier. (not to mention-they are the manufacturer of it...) She didn't seem to care that it came from Cutlers.So for now I'm turning the eggs. How does everyone else do this? What do you use to prop up the higher side of the carton?
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom