New 17 week pullets not eating

Kfpbarger

Hatching
May 3, 2021
I am a first-time chicken owner and I just got 8 17 week old pullets two days ago. They are eating scratch and some veggies but not too much feed. I've put some DuMor 16% Egg Pellets. It's in a Rent a coop Chicken feeder with a red cover on it. They have found the food and have been picking at it. It just seems that the feed level is not going down. They are drinking with no problem. Do they need some more time to adapt to the new surroundings? Should I change the feed out? Am I being crazy?

If you feed a human toddler candy and cookies, and also put a plate of nutritious food in front of them, which things do you think they will choose to eat?

Withhold the scratch and veggies for now. Let them get hungry and they will eat the pellets. Reserve the scratch and veggies for end of the day treats no more than once or twice a week.

There. Problem solved.

If you feed a human toddler candy and cookies, and also put a plate of nutritious food in front of them, which things do you think they will choose to eat?

Withhold the scratch and veggies for now. Let them get hungry and they will eat the pellets. Reserve the scratch and veggies for end of the day treats no more than once or twice a week.

There. Problem solved.
Hey!Thanks for the help and the condescending attitude. I'll take your advice. This is the first time I posted here looking for help and it will now be the last. Wow.

Hey!Thanks for the help and the condescending attitude. I'll take your advice. This is the first time I posted here looking for help and it will now be the last. Wow.
Easy now... @Kfpbarger
you would have to understand @azygous 's sense of humor to not be offended by her reply.

You being new here, I don't understand your sensitivity.
It was good advice.

But being new here, how could I know her sense of humor?
You couldn't, why it's good to be temperate when joining a new forum...
...and/or look at some of her other posts to get a better sense of who she is.

Hopefully we'll get to know you better, too.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I wouldn't have found that condescending if it was said to me, but not everyone grew up with my mother.

Some moms make their kids a pb&j if the don't like tuna noodle hotdish. Not mine. We sat there and ate it. If we didn't eat it, we could have it for breakfast. :sick At the end of the day, we weren't getting anything else until it was gone.

43 years old, and I have yet to make a tuna noodle hotdish. Bleck!

Some people treat their chickens like children. Azygous's post is an anology those people can relate to. I treat mine like livestock, but still think Azygous did a good job explaining why your pullets aren't eating their feed and how to fix it.

I understand that it was an analogy. I get it. I guess I'm not a good person to be on this forum. I've already contact admin to delete me off the page. I realized it's a me problem. Too sensitive. Thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom