New A-frame tractor and new chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SOchick, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SOchick

SOchick Songster

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I finished my A frame chicken tractor and got my chickens about a month ago. So far I've been having a lot of fun watching them, the chickens are not quite old enough to be laying yet, although I think one may be getting close. I have 1 black sex link about 18 weeks old now, 1 buff orpington about 10 weeks old, and 2 ameraucanas about 11 weeks old. I found the plans online, and built it with my dad. It has a run about 4x6 on the bottom, 2 nest boxes and a perch on the top. I still have to hang the feeder and waterer and paint the frame, but the pressure treated wood was still too wet, so I am hoping to get that done later this summer. I let them out for short times only when I am with them, because the part of the yard they are in is not fenced yet. They seem pretty happy in there! If anyone is interested, I have several pictures of the building in progres, but for now, here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

and part of the inside

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think!

2. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    [​IMG]

3. James Hudson

James Hudson In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    nice chicken coop, congratulations [​IMG] can you put more pics

4. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice A-frame [​IMG]

5. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Songster

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I really like your portable design [​IMG], please PM me or post the design details. I have to finish a few more details on my playhouse turned coop and then start on a portable A-frame.

--Hughster da rooster

6. chills

chills In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    love it! great colors too .. the a frame is perfect for our space .. i'd love more photos of the process, we havent started yet ..
    thanks for sharing ..

7. tomdeggeater

tomdeggeater Songster

Sep 20, 2007
    Rocky Hill, CT.
    Very nice, SOchick, I like the hinged panels, and the nest boxes at the peak on either end. I drew up something like it>
    [​IMG]
    It's more of a tractor type coop. I should have added wheels and barrow handles to move it easily...
    Oh well, back to the drawing board...[​IMG]
    Tom [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  8. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Songster

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    THANKS!!

I might use this!!

Yours is sooo cute.

Our goal is to cover one acre in chicken tractors and fill them with birds--Seramas mostly!

9. SOchick

SOchick Songster

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    OK.. Sorry it took me so long to get back with y'all, dang work and chores getting in my way. I got my design here: http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/better-homes-gardens/479/chicken-coop
    The
    measurements are metric, so we had to convert them, and measure as we went.

here's the outside frame
    [​IMG]

with the inner A frames
    [​IMG]

a close-up of the outside corner
    [​IMG]

with the inner supports
    [​IMG]

back & side panels and back wire (we used 1in cage wire) on and nest box floors done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

turned on its side to attach chicken wire to the bottom
    [​IMG]

and one more of the finished product (well- almost, I still have some painting at the end of the summer
    [​IMG]

Thanks for being patient! If you have any more questions, I will do my best not to wait another week to answer!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    great job, it should serve you well.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: