New A-frame tractor and new chickens

SOchick

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Georgia
I finished my A frame chicken tractor and got my chickens about a month ago. So far I've been having a lot of fun watching them, the chickens are not quite old enough to be laying yet, although I think one may be getting close. I have 1 black sex link about 18 weeks old now, 1 buff orpington about 10 weeks old, and 2 ameraucanas about 11 weeks old. I found the plans online, and built it with my dad. It has a run about 4x6 on the bottom, 2 nest boxes and a perch on the top. I still have to hang the feeder and waterer and paint the frame, but the pressure treated wood was still too wet, so I am hoping to get that done later this summer. I let them out for short times only when I am with them, because the part of the yard they are in is not fenced yet. They seem pretty happy in there! If anyone is interested, I have several pictures of the building in progres, but for now, here's the finished product:

32776_013.jpg

and part of the inside

32776_012.jpg

Let me know what you think!

I really like your portable design
thumbsup.gif
, please PM me or post the design details. I have to finish a few more details on my playhouse turned coop and then start on a portable A-frame.

--Hughster da rooster

love it! great colors too .. the a frame is perfect for our space .. i'd love more photos of the process, we havent started yet ..
thanks for sharing ..

Very nice, SOchick, I like the hinged panels, and the nest boxes at the peak on either end. I drew up something like it>
A-Framecoop.jpg

It's more of a tractor type coop. I should have added wheels and barrow handles to move it easily...
Oh well, back to the drawing board...
hmm.png

Tom
big_smile.png

Last edited:
THANKS!!

I might use this!!

Yours is sooo cute.

Our goal is to cover one acre in chicken tractors and fill them with birds--Seramas mostly!

OK.. Sorry it took me so long to get back with y'all, dang work and chores getting in my way. I got my design here: http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/better-homes-gardens/479/chicken-coop
The
measurements are metric, so we had to convert them, and measure as we went.

here's the outside frame
32776_001.jpg

with the inner A frames
32776_002.jpg

a close-up of the outside corner
32776_003.jpg

with the inner supports
32776_004.jpg

back & side panels and back wire (we used 1in cage wire) on and nest box floors done
32776_005.jpg

32776_006.jpg

turned on its side to attach chicken wire to the bottom
32776_010.jpg

and one more of the finished product (well- almost, I still have some painting at the end of the summer
32776_014.jpg

Thanks for being patient! If you have any more questions, I will do my best not to wait another week to answer!

Back
Top Bottom