New Addition completed! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wbruder17, Jun 15, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    We just completed "The Aviary" and everyone is thrilled! The pheasants have a nice high perch overlooking the stream. The ducks will soon have a small pond, and the chickens have tons more scratching space (not like they didnt have it pretty sweet before).

It is about 7 1/2 feet tall, 12 feet long and about 10 feet wide. It is completely chicken wired on all sides, as well as buried 3 feet deep to prevent predators from diggin under. It has a tunnel connecting the first coop to the second coop made out of rebar wrapped in chicken wire. I call it the Speedway, as everyone just LOVES to race around from the feeder to where I throw the scratch. Its hysterical!

There are also several perching branches, with more to be constructed during the summer months (if it EVER stops raining!!! [​IMG])

Original Structure:
    [​IMG]

The Aviary:
    [​IMG]

The entire structure. The creek is behind the photo to the left side.
    [​IMG]

The Speedway (tunnel connecting the 2 runs) Photo includes a pheasant taking a lap
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Love the tunnel idea. That's pretty cool. It all ooks GREAT!! Wish I had that much space here. [​IMG]

3. thelmalou

thelmalou New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    That is pretty awesome..

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Thats a nice looking run!! Really love the peaked door. The tunnel is neat too.

5. meltonfam

meltonfam New Egg

May 31, 2011
    nice - like the tunnel too! [​IMG]

6. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    x 2 on wishing for more space. Looks wonderful though ! Great job!!!

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks! We are very fortunate to have lots of room to indulge my hobby. The DH is patient and extremely helpful as well. I don't think I could have done it nearly as nice without him!

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Looks wonderful! You & DH did a wonderful job!
    I just hope you don't have many predators there, as chicken wire provides absolutely zero protection against them. The only thing chicken wire is good for is to keep chickens out of an area, such as your garden.
    Welded wire & hardware cloth are your best bets for predator-proofing, but are also more expensive because of the thicker, stronger metal.

9. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The chicken wire has worked so far. Its buried several feet deep. No raccons or fox or coyotes can dig that deep or fit throught the wire. I also close the chickens in at night. But the ducks and pheasants stay out.

10. KentuckyFC

KentuckyFC Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    [​IMG] Looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by