New addition to flock question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bassbum2, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Bassbum2

Bassbum2 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I recently bought a new chick to add to our flock after finding a home for our rooster, she gets picked on as I expected but she seems to be all alone. I got her on Thursday of last week, would it be too late to go back and buy another from the group she came from or will they still hang out together? My first 5 stay together and my second 4 stay together after being in the coop for over two months now, I don't want the new girl to be alone for months on end. any advice would be appreciated.

Russell

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that's a good idea. I'm betting they will get together and pal around. I do think chickens have a memory, and they have friends.

3. Bassbum2

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I am hoping that is the case as she clings to us every time we go in the run. It is cute but she gets under our feet and i'm afraid of stepping on her, she moves so fast.

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would keep an eye on her to make sure she's getting food and water.....Chickens are such bullies! It will get better with time though.....I always have two feeding areas and two waterers so that the underdogs will be able to eat.

5. Bassbum2

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I do have two watering locations but only one feed location. I have been going into the coop area several times a day to make sure she has access to food.

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, you're doing a great job! It's so hard to see the newbies getting picked on.....

7. acro1010

acro1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2014
    I've been told size maters. :) The closer to their size the better to acclimate to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by