1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"new" addition to small flock stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pdxchristine, Oct 14, 2013.

1. pdxchristine

pdxchristine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Forest Grove, OR
    I tried searching on this topic but couldn't find anything.

I had two 5 month old hens and just added a 1 year old barred rock to replace one that was attacked earlier this summer. The new girl has been here just over a week and is doing well with the group. No bullying or anything like that. She laid once right after arriving and hasn't laid since that I'm aware of.

I assume this is a fairly normal adjustment thing? Anyone else add an established layer to their group and experience the same thing? How long til they started laying again?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    My hens have gone through weird on and off laying periods. Sometimes they are just fickle. I would say your new hen is probably going through the stress of a new environment, even though they all seem to get along im sure its still stressful. I would give it another week? I know how frustrating it can be waiting for the eggs to start flowing again but sometimes there is only so much you can do. If its still a problem then I would start looking into the food or calcium/nutrients shes getting, but honestly I think its probably just a little stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by