New Addition!! Welsh Harlequins (or at least I hope they are haha)

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
New Additions! Yesterday I picked up 2 Welsh Harlequins girls (Or at least I hope so as that is what they told me they were
hmm.png
). They said they are around 9 weeks old (my other 4 ducks are 8 weeks). They seem so small compared to my other 4. When I put them in the pen for the first time the whole crew was talking away...then the pecking order started and my org. 4 started bumping their chest against them and pecking at them & standing in front of the water/food making it hard for the 2 new ones to get in..little brats :). Hoping that does not last long! This morning let them out for their first swim.

Congrats! Are we positive the one on the right in the first picture is a female? That's a really dark head and chest for a WH female. Then again if they weren't breeding to the standard maybe her colors are just off.

Congrats! Are we positive the one on the right in the first picture is a female? That's a really dark head and chest for a WH female. Then again if they weren't breeding to the standard maybe her colors are just off.

I know I worry I messed up and got a boy. But when we picked her up she was loud! UGH I so hope I have 2 girls! I will post a video..

Last edited:
She does have the dark bill, which is a good sign, but all their bills turn black after they hatch and then the male's bills turn green after they start to mature. Hopefully though yours are just not colored correctly and you have two girls :) If she's quacking there's no arguing with that!

She does have the dark bill, which is a good sign, but all their bills turn black after they hatch and then the male's bills turn green after they start to mature. Hopefully though yours are just not colored correctly and you have two girls
smile.png
If she's quacking there's no arguing with that!

So when you say not colored right? Should I take her back even if it is a girl? They told me mom and dad are show quality birds. I just got these so are not attached, so if they she is not right I want one that is :) (The video is taking awhile to upload)

Last edited:
So when you say not colored right? Should I take her back even if it is a girl? They told me mom and dad are show quality birds. I just got these so are not attached, so if they she is not right I want one that is :) (The video is taking awhile to upload)

Well, that's up to you. Maybe she'll molt into more correct colors as she matures. Is she gold phase? If she's gold phase that's not an accepted color and she can't be shown regularly anyway. Here is a gallery of some excellent show quality WH from Holderread and you can compare and see what I mean about the color being off, but as I said, it may change as she molts. And if you never intend to show her or breed her, it doesn't matter what she looks like :)

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm

Last edited:
Well, that's up to you. Maybe she'll molt into more correct colors as she matures. Is she gold phase? If she's gold phase that's not an accepted color and she can't be shown regularly anyway. Here is a gallery of some excellent show quality WH from Holderread and you can compare and see what I mean about the color being off, but as I said, it may change as she molts. And if you never intend to show her, it doesn't matter what she looks like
smile.png

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm
What does gold phase mean?

What does gold phase mean?

There are two different colors of WH, silver phase and gold phase. Silver phase is the accepted color and the one that can be shown. They have blue speculums in their wings. Gold phase is an available color, but it is not accepted by the APA so they can't be shown and expect to win, for example. They have a more muted bronze or greenish-bronze speculum in the wing. There are some other differences too - one of the pictures in that gallery shows a gold female next to a silver female.

There are two different colors of WH, silver phase and gold phase. Silver phase is the accepted color and the one that can be shown. They have blue speculums in their wings. Gold phase is an available color, but it is not accepted by the APA so they can't be shown and expect to win, for example. They have a more muted bronze or greenish-bronze speculum in the wing. There are some other differences too - one of the pictures in that gallery shows a gold female next to a silver female.
Ok thanks..They are just pets so I will keep her as it is kind of neat having one of each I guess.

Videos...top two are her

https://vimeo.com/user54262951/videos

Back
Top Bottom