New additions

MenachemEliyahu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Florida
I got some Rhode Island Red chicks on Friday. A few is going to family but we’re keeping 5. I was planning to build a holding pen for them in the coop so they’ll interact safely with the existing chickens, but my plans fell through yesterday and now the weather is not cooperating.

Attachments

• C2EACEFD-ACDC-4D30-ACFD-F1FC99126002.jpeg
    C2EACEFD-ACDC-4D30-ACFD-F1FC99126002.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 8
Congrats on the chicks!!
You might also use a piece of chicken wire, and fence off a small area for the chicks to eat, drink, and be safe from the big hens.
Make sure to cut a minimum of 2 small openings, so that the chicks can run in and out if the ‘safe space’ to help them integrate better. If you’d like!

Congrats on the chicks!!
You might also use a piece of chicken wire, and fence off a small area for the chicks to eat, drink, and be safe from the big hens.
Make sure to cut a minimum of 2 small openings, so that the chicks can run in and out if the ‘safe space’ to help them integrate better. If you’d like!
I plan to. The other two hens are leghorns. I introduced the chicks to them yesterday and they seemed either to be sizing them up to trying to determine whether or not they are food.

I plan to. The other two hens are leghorns. I introduced the chicks to them yesterday and they seemed either to be sizing them up to trying to determine whether or not they are food.
I also have leghorns, and chicks, and my leghorns act scared of the chicks!😂

Last year, I did the chick safe pen and one of my hens became a mother to my chicks. I’m hoping that same hen will adopt these new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom