New Additions

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
Hi Everyone!

I've scoured this forum for some answers and at this point I am cross-eyed:p We are the proud parents of 9 - 10month old hens and 1- 10month old (large) roo. We finally started having an abundance of eggs that we are selling them regularly. To our dismay, we can't seem to keep up with the demand and unfortunately, no hen lays 2 or more eggs a day! HA HA!

With that said, yesterday we expanded our family by 7 more chicks. Hopefully in 5 months time they too will be laying an egg a day and we can up our profit
big_smile.png

My question is this...I understand that they recommend 1 roo to 10 hens. Now our roo is an excellent protector and husband to our hens, but also quite aggressive to everyone (my poor husband and kids) but me. I can't imagine having another roo, they would shred each other. What is the protocol for more then 10 hens to a roo. We will now have 16 hens to 1 roo. I'm sure there are other people out there that have the same dilemma as us. Is our roo going to be ok with 16 girls...is he going to be going to bed early everynight? LOL!!!

I appreciate all responses and wish every mommy out there a Happy Mother's Day
smile.png

you should be ok, the only reason you need a roo is to make your eggs fertile. they will lay without a roo, only sometimes if you don't have one, a hen will take over and act like one. I would say your hens would be more relaxed with just the one roo.

Thanks for the reply. We certainly want to keep our one. He is very good to his girls. Takes care of them. But I also don't want him to get over worked LOL.

Back
Top Bottom