New and chickenless.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wvmom24, May 22, 2011.

1. wvmom24

wvmom24 New Egg

May 22, 2011
    Hi,
    I am new here, trying to get educated in the ways of chickens. [​IMG] I am considering free range chickens for our place, and would love any advice you could give me. What I am considering are Freedom Ranger chickens if anyone has any thoughts on that. I look forward to looking around here for sage advice. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Florida!
    Alas, I too am without birds. I joined BYC for the same reason and have found the members to be very helpful, patient and friendly. I'm sure you will, too!

Good luck with your future flock!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. I4Him

I4Him Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Rothbury
    Welcome to the obsession! It won't be that long and you won't be able to remember what life was like before chickens!

6 austrolorps, 6 quail antwerps, 8 amaraucanas, 4 cochins, 2 isa browns, 1 polish crested (just for fun), 1 salmon favorolle, 3 speckled sussex, 2 autralian spotted ducks, 2 white runner ducks, 1 magpie muscovy duck [​IMG]

We started with 10 chicks.

4. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG] from NW Indiana
    the obsession has started. Be sure to ask other members about chicken math.....[​IMG]

5. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Yes you would be surprised about chicken math! LOL! Have fun, and good for you for researching before taking the plunge!

6. marylael

marylael New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Hello,
    I am new to this backyard chicken business! I have 3 Rhode Island Red hens, all supposedly about the same age, yet only one of them lays eggs. She has been giving me a nice small brown egg each day for a month, but her buddies refuse. I have 2 cats who used to really "eye' those chickens, but now are resigned to the fact they can not have them. If you have any ideas why the other 2 girls aren't producing, please let me know. I love the website![​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Can't help with the Freedom Rangers, we just butchered our Cornish X's today. [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Good for you for doing the research first! Welcome to BYC -- you'll find tons of helpful info on here to help you choose what breed of chicken is right for you & your situation, and how best to protect them and give them a safe, secure place to live. Ready, set, READ! [​IMG]

10. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] from Louisiana .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by