New and clueless in Ohio

marmaladechicky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Lisbon, Ohio
The title says it all! I was suprised one friday by a cheeping bundle of fluffy joy in a holey box with a bow on top, and though I have read up on the peeping bundle, I feel as cluless as a new mother! There are some things my chick does that concerns me that is probably normal and im over reacting to. But it is better safe than sorry!

I have noticed that my chick will peep loudly and constanly at all times when I am not right beside her, but as soon as my fingers are close enough for her itty bitty beak to peck at and her head to rest on she quiets and goes to sleep. I know she is warm enough and fed and watered, but her cheeps just sound so frantic that it makes me feel so mean not knowing what it is that she needs! Is she scared or nervous? Or hurting?

Also her poo is yellow in color and watery, is that something bad? It isnt like that all the time, but most of the time it is. Sometimes it is more solid but the same basic yellow brown.
Pleas help!

Your chick is calling out for company or Mama (you). Are you giving a medicated chick starter feed? You can also add electrolytes and vitamins for poultry to the water. How old is your chick, still on heat lamp?

welcome-byc.gif

I think your chick needs friend. It is possible to raise single chicks, but they are social creatures, like us, and they are much happier with a friend of their own species to keep them company.

welcome! we are newbs at chickens too...! Yes, if you do not want to be the only person your little one depends on, you should buy another chick so she has a companion :) Then, from my experience they only chirp real loud when they need something.

welcome-byc.gif

Hello and welcome from SW Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

What better excuse to have MORE CHICKENS!!!! Your baby needs some friends. They love to pile together to sleep.

Good luck

Greetings from Kansas, marmaladechick, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Yes, the peeping is normal - just wants the safety of having you around. The other posters are correct - you need at least one more chick. The runny poop - is she on a proper chick starter ration?

Yes she is on the proper feed.. Thank you for letting me know about her needing a friend, I was certain I was doing somethig wrong, unfortunatly i cant get another chick, but I will happily be there the whole time for her!

And thank you all forthe warm welcome!

hard to say on the age, can you post pic (not that it will be conclusive) you might want to get a lil stuff animal like a beeny baby or something that size for cuddling if you want to get some sleep lol

Back
Top Bottom