New and confused -Black Copper Marans chick pullet or Roo?C

SoCal-ludic

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 17, 2016
Rancho Cucamonga
SEE TEXT BELOW.

OK, I am a new BYC adventurer, knowing only what I have read on line. I have 2 BCM's from same breeder, born 3/7/16 - 19 weeks, but neither laying or crowing. Copper coloring is about the same, but comb and wattles much larger on one, which is the larger of the two. Could one of these be a roo? Is there so much variance from the same breeder (batch of eggs)?

Smaller bird, less feathers on legs.

The big girl - guy

Ready for action.

To me, the top photos look like a rooster (Looks like sickles developing on tail plus pointed hackles) and the second is a hen. Beautiful birds by the way!
love.gif

Both look like pullets to me. Even in the same line of birds there is variation. It is a slightly larger comb than breed standard but it's also a faster maturing bird than her sister. Believe you'll get eggs from that one much sooner than other bird.

Those are both pullets. The more developed one is simply going to lay first, probably eggs within the next few weeks from the looks of things.

In humans, full siblings can develop quite differently. Same with birds. Your birds are in late adolescence, so compare them to say sophomores in high school. Lots of variation in maturity at that age.

Back
Top Bottom