New and desperate for dosage of IM dosage Doxycycline for my turkey

Welcome to BYC, sorry your turkey is so sick. :hugs Can you call the DVM that saw her and ask for some metronidazole? Is taking her back to the vet an option? if it is, ask the vet if they can give her some subcutaneous fluids and show you how to tube feed.

How much Baytril did they have you give her? And did you give it orally or by injection?
I answered you in another place. 100 mg IM one more day left and she’s drinking plenty of water. My local DVM knows nothing about birds or turkeys. Tells me to bring poop, not the bird. No one treats them within an hour. PA Animal Ark that stays current on birds texted me though. Told me some things and said yogurt is good. I’m doing by syringe. She’s not hating it as much now.

I answered you in another place. 100 mg IM one more day left and she’s drinking plenty of water. My local DVM knows nothing about birds or turkeys. Tells me to bring poop, not the bird. No one treats them within an hour. PA Animal Ark that stays current on birds texted me though. Told me some things and said yogurt is good. I’m doing by syringe. She’s not hating it as much now.
Thank goodness for you guys and the DVM in PA (I’m in NC), bc the local DVM never called back. Had call in first thing this AM. She is looking better this afternoon and at least standing up some and feels better.

She’s panting, but almost 80 here. But TSC has the generic form of antibiotics.

I’ll go give her more Meloxicam after the news. And go to TSC tomorrow, if the local DVM isn’t responsive by then. I’ll call them again in the morning. I guess you never know what’s going on there and trying to be nice, bc this morning was worried I would have to euthanize her. Last time his dosage was wrong w my turkey that got mangled by a dog and it made it worse.

I follow this forum a lot and it’s so informative. Does this mean people in Whoville are on our own?

So I posted in another place and I’m getting a lecture about having my bird in the house and she’s only been in here a few nights because it gets super cold again. And she’s molted super bad because she was so sick and lost so much weight when she was sick last time.

Mary is an only bird and she likes to watch TV w me. She doesn’t live in my house 24/7. So I posted this in another place and I’m getting a lecture on clean bedding food and water, which she has and she has plenty of turkey walks and free ranging.

But I’m also seeing everything that goes in this bird and everywhere she walks and everything she does.

She became disinterested in walking / free ranging and food the other day and her poops got salmonella ish looking again. I gave her two syringes of yogurt yesterday and one with probiotics. And she did start eating a little bit today.

But I have been reading up on how people disinfect Poultry houses, because I am concerned about her summer pen I put her in for a while that I want to utilize again. According to articles on “disinfecting poultry houses,” salmonella and E. coli can get in cracks and crevices and in things don’t go away in a matter of an hour. They use things like formaldehyde and chemicals I doubt I can get my hands on and I don’t want to use at my nature conservancy. I doubt I can even get my hands on those not being a professional Poultry person.

So I’m going ask my question here, although it’s posted in another place where I’m getting lectured on traditional animal or bird husbandry - really - I have that down to a science although she does come inside, because she’s an only bird who is a brat and loves to watch TV. And respectfully, I think that person is well meaning, although they don’t realize how sick my turkey was last time or I was consulting two DVMs (one states away on TeleMed and one local who just does fecals, who went on vacation, but doesn’t really treat birds). I’m in a no bird vet area, unless I drive 3 hours and not putting her through that.

What do you guys use when you’re birds get sick and they need antibiotics, because I have not resorted to them “yet.” And what do you disinfect your poultry yards with, when you suspect contamination.

I doubt this is wild birds, possibly a possum that wants to be a pet. I have irradiated most of the rodent population and don’t leave feed out at night. Take it up when she isn’t eating.

I was just looking back over some of this info, because Mary started acting lethargic again and not eating. Followed up w yogurt and probiotics. But wanted to know what antibiotics everyone was using for different bacteria. My PA DVM w avian experience was the one who thought salmonella.

I tried the Southern States Gamebird feed again the other day, because the rep assured the batch was ok, but I don’t think it is. Went back to Dumour Medicated Chick Starter again and she’s better today thankfully and eating.

But curious, why the Metradinazole? I have some that I used on my skin topically for rosecea and looking it up, it appears to be a slow IV drip for certain bacterial infections. As a person that was “almost a licensed equine vet tech,” I like to learn and absorb all I can.

i still didn’t get an answer to what everyone’s go to is for salmonella, bc I now or ever I don’t start anything unless it’s warranted.

Someone on another thread was a bit condescending and I took some offense, I brought my turkey inside, because she lost almost all her feathers from molting from her weight loss and of course her seasonal molt. But we also had an unseasonal cold snap and I didn’t feel like a heat lamp was working where she wanted to roost. So what if my bird is tame and comes in to watch TV or sleeps on my couch for socialization here and there? She certainly lives outside, has her fair share of great outdoor habitat, free range time, turkey walks, great food, fresh air, exercise, beautiful coup (my veranda porch). She’s an only bird.

Back
Top Bottom