New and first time impending owner of 3 rescued chickens.

Grandma 333

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
Hi There!

Am expecting the girls next week. We live in a wet corner of Scotland. We will have a shed built in time for their arrival. I need every piece of advice available. I'm very worried to have discovered the area of garden they will be in has plants and long established shrubs that are toxic to chickens.
Such as azalea and rhododendron. It is overshadowed by a neighbour's conker tree!
I need urgent advice firstly about this environment. Should I remove the shrubs altogether?
The chickens have never seen outside before and will at first be in a run.
All advice will be so appreciated.
I live with my son. I have 2 guinea pigs and 2 outdoor goldfish. My dog is a large German Shepherd. She has severe hip dysplasia which we are managing as best we can for her. A near neighbour keeps hens. Rita, my dog came screaming down the garden as if she were in mortal peril. She was being chased by the neighbour's brown hen! That's the best way of describing our Rita!
My granddaughter who is six will be claiming and naming one of the hens as her own. Any wee bairn info sheets for her would also be great.
Not all that great on the computer so I'll hope to find my way back!...PS I don't know what a tag is.

Welcome to the flock! A tag, is when you want to alert someone on here, that you would like them to look at your thread. We do that a lot if someone has a sick or injured chicken (or duck) and someone thinks, "oh so and so might know what to do" So we'll tag them, which you would do by hitting the ampersand ( @ ) and type in a few letters of the username. A list will pop up, and when you see the name you want, click on it.Then, when they get on, they'll get an alert, and check out the thread. I second @DobieLover , azaleas and Rhodes will not be too attractive to the chickens, especially if there lots of good stuff like grass to destroy, erm, I mean eat. And that's a tag.

Welcome to the flock! A tag, is when you want to alert someone on here, that you would like them to look at your thread. We do that a lot if someone has a sick or injured chicken (or duck) and someone thinks, "oh so and so might know what to do" So we'll tag them, which you would do by hitting the ampersand ( @ ) and type in a few letters of the username. A list will pop up, and when you see the name you want, click on it.Then, when they get on, they'll get an alert, and check out the thread. I second @DobieLover , azaleas and Rhodes will not be too attractive to the chickens, especially if there lots of good stuff like grass to destroy, erm, I mean eat. And that's a tag.
Yes, it is and the recipient came in to look at the thread.

balloons.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens
joy.gif

Back
Top Bottom