new and have a chicken sitting question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anniesmom1, Jan 17, 2013.

1. anniesmom1

anniesmom1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Hi! I have one Barred Rock and will be going on vacation. I have a friend who has offered to take my girl for the week that I'm gone and keep it with her 6. (I don't know what she has.) I'm wondering if this is a good idea or do you think she may be picked on too much? I do have the option of someone bringing her back home if it doesn't work but would be heartbroken if she was hurt while was gone. Thoughts?

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    1. I do think they'll pick on her. It's a big deal to introduce new chickens to a flock, they hurry to establish pecking order.
    2. Even though her flock doesn't seem to have any illness, you're supposed to quarantine birds for a few weeks before introducing them. Your girl could come home sick.

It's sure nice, though, of your friend to offer to watch her. I keep my sick chickens in a dog kennel in my garage, could she maybe do that for you?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with goldfinches. It's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. If you have no one who could come and care for her at your home, a week or so in a dog crate at your friend's place might work.

oops, Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. anniesmom1

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Thanks for your input. I started with 3 "chickens", one turned out to be a rooster, one was killed by a hawk and now I'm down to my last girl and she's my favorite. I'd hate to have something happen to her and I know my friend would feel badly as well. I'll have to look into how I could keep her seperate.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, anniesmom1, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I also concur with goldfinches. Best of luck to you!!

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I agree with the above advice. And would like to ad that maybe you should think of getting her a chicken friend to keep her company? Maybe after your vacation. Chickens are very social creatures and they can get very lonely by themselves.

7. anniesmom1

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Thank you as well for the advice. I've been wanting to add another girl in but haven't settled on a breed. Plus would like to start from a chick since I think they really bond to you as they grow. I found a woman down the street that has chickens so I think I can get her to swing by and take care of mine so I don't have to worry the whole time I'm gone.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    Welcome From Cold Colorado [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by