new and have a few questions

maggief

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2015
are not finished with coop but we will have chickens before it'it's done. Based on this picture besides a door and steps what do we need bare min while nesting boxes are being built? Also does each chicken need a nesting box? Do they sleep In the nesting boxes after locked in for the night? Is the food and water in the locked in area or out in the wired common area? If not in with them do they not eat/drink at night? How long should I keep them locked up and shake treats before letting them out in unfenced yard? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I have all the same questions!
We have yet to build our coop (my project for this week) but my chicks are about 4 weeks old.
Also how big should the run be for 6 chickens?

Howdy and Welcome to BYC

Have you checked out the BYC Learning Centre, lots of helpful information for when you are first starting out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your chickens’ requirements when they first arrive will depend on their age. If they are old enough to be away from brooder and heat lamp; in the coop they may need a roost for sleeping (age dependent). When they are young, they like to cuddle up together in a nest box, but when they are older, they prefer to roost. A roost is usually required before the nest boxes as they are normally roosting before they are laying.

On the whole, chickens do not eat or drink at night (but I have heard of a couple of exceptions to that rule).

I personally do not keep food and water in the coop but if they are locked in the coop, they will require food and water for when they wake up in the morning. If they have 24/7 access to the common area, leaving it there should be fine.

I do not leave food in any area overnight, only water. I am up early enough to ensure that they have food when they get up and I believe not leaving food around reduces the waste and chances of attracting vermin.

If you confine them to a coop/run for a couple of weeks they should learn to look at it as home. After that I would recommend letting them out for supervised free ranges until they are familiar with the surroundings and good places to hide if feeling threatened.

You will not need one nest box for each chicken; I have 3 for 6 chickens and believe that 1 for every 2-3 chickens is the norm. You will probably find that even if they had one each, they will have a favourite which they will squabble over
wink.png

All of the above is what I do personally and others will have other views … part of owning chickens is learning what best suits you and your flock but BYC is a wonderful place to source options available.

Good luck on with your new feathered friends and never be afraid to ask questions
wink.png

Telia, thank you so much. That is so helpful !!! I'll ckeck out the Learning center also!!

Also does each chicken need a nesting box? No. I have 3 for my 6 girls and they all use the same one most days.
Do they sleep In the nesting boxes after locked in for the night? You want to discourage them from sleeping in the nesting boxes. I didn't put ours in until the girls began to lay. Otherwise, because they poo in their sleep, you will get poopy eggs. I always wash my eggs anyway but generally speaking, they shouldn't sleep in them. Give them a branch to roost on.
Is the food and water in the locked in area or out in the wired common area? If not in with them do they not eat/drink at night? Common area. Once they go in to sleep they don't usual eat. I don't even close the coop door so if they want to come out they can but they never do.
How long should I keep them locked up and shake treats before letting them out in unfenced yard? [\B]
My girls go in on their own like clockwork about 20-30min before sundown everyday. They come out in the morning after the sun is up. I have a self feeder and waterer system going so they help themselves. If I want to let them free range, I just open the door of the run and let them go on their own schedule.

Back
Top Bottom