new and in need!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coachwife2004, Jan 3, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    Hello I'm new and will shortly be purchasing 5 cochins we live in the country (10 acres) how do you get the chickens back in to the pen at night?

2. OrpingtonDad

OrpingtonDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Your girls will be smarter than you think. Chickens always come home to roost as they say [​IMG] Just be sure to keep them cooped up for a couple days first so they get to "know" the place and think of it as home.
    [​IMG]

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:First: [​IMG]

I love Cochins... What I have done, is introduce the chickens to the coop by literally carrying them in the coop and then walking out. I have never had the buggars range out of sight of the coop. It's like their homebase. I keep the food and water inside the coop and I introduce this to them, too. At night, pretty much dusk, they magically return and find their favorite roost. I haven't lost one yet!! It may take a couple days for them to get the hang of it...when I moved them to a new coop they were confused for a few days, but caught on pretty quickly!!

Ask away!!
    What does your husband coach??
    Christina

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I always leave mine locked in the coop with food and water for an entire week. This gives them time to forget about their old home and get used to their new digs. It should all be familiar to them after a week, then begin by letting them out a couple of hours before dark. This gives them time to explore a bit but will soon want to go back to the coop and roost. After a few days of this, it should be safe to let them out for the day. Enjoy your new Cochins, they are sweet birds. [​IMG]

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:yep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by