New and interested in chickens

chickenlittle73

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Felton, PA
Hi,

My name is Christie and I live in Felton, PA in North Hopewell Township. I am 40 years old and I am interested in chickens. My boyfriend and I fell in love with the baby chicks that they have at our local Tractor Supply and now we would like to have a couple of hens of our own. We are researching at this point because we want to make sure we have the knowledge and the means to keep chickens. I found this forum through a very good friend of mine and I am so excited to have found this great site. I already bought my first book about raising chickens. I look forward to learning all I can.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, I agree, if you want chicks, get them while they have them. Pretty soon you won't be able to get them at TSC. Even the hatcheries are selling out of chicks these days. For lots of good reads on raising poultry, stop by our learning center here on BYC. Most of what you need to know, you can find here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If something is missing that you need to know, feel free to ask. Good luck with your new chicken adventure and welcome to our flock!

Thank you. This is exactly why we want to wait to even get chickens. We want to be make sure that we are allowed and we are going to do our research. We are not really making any definite plans to even have any chickens this year. I am here to learn as much as I can.

If you do go ahead with chicks please think about getting 3 or 4. If you have 2 and lose one, the other will be lonely. Chickens are flock animals and do best with buddies. Also if you get birds at one time you will not have to go through integration issues trying to add new ones to an established flock.

Back
Top Bottom