new and looking for advice

Silvester

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Milton, PA
I bought 4 ducks at Tractor Supply almost two weeks ago and they are now 5 times the size, but I picked 2 more about 3 days ago and the bigger ones seemed to pick on them a bit so I've seperated them for now...

In a few weeks all of the ducks and 6 chickens I got with the first set of ducks are going out to a horse stall in the barn, will I have problems with the ducks and chickens being under the same roof? I was planning on dividing the space because, but if I don't need to it would make my life easier...

For run space I'm going to use the outdoor horse pen adjacent to the stall. I wanted to put in a pond for the ducks to swim in during the day and I'm looking at the MacCourt 125-Gallon high-density polyethylene pond liner at Lowe's. I want to dig it into the ground so it looks more natural and to make it easier for the ducks to get in and out, but that will make it crazy hard to clean/change the water... I was thinking of using a pump to circulate the water through a bio filter (probably a home made system), but I don't know if that will be sufficient for dealing with the duck waste. I'd also like to put gold fish or minnows in there, not sure if the ducks will eat them or how fast they will eat them...

I'm also not sure how big of a splashing pool they'll need in the stall/coop... I was thinking of using an old kitchen sink or wash tub.

If anyone can offer up some advice I'd appreciate it...

Silvester

welcome-byc.gif

You know honestly i am not a fan of mixing ducks and chickens, mainly because the water needs are so, so different. Chickens drink their water and nothing else, ducks?? well.. they turn everything into bath time, and soak the place. Plus drakes can be of harm to chickens if they attempt to breed them. Now, all that said some do, but i choose not too, I opt to separate for just the overall happiness and ability to cater the needs of the individuals.

I don't have much in way of advice on a pool that fancy, mine get kiddy pools and leftover sandbox bottoms lol Now i do have a pond but i keep fish in it and it's not for them mind you they stop by now again while free ranging. There is a thread if you search for ponds and pools which would likely give you better advice than i could.

Splashing pool in the coop/stall? don't do that, they will soak the entire place lol as long as they have access via a run at some point they don't need one. If you choose to put feed in the stall/coop then they will need drinking water but that can be with waterers or buckets etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to ducks!
big_smile.png

Keep the littles separate from the bigger ones or they will be at risk of serious injury. Ducks do not tend to play nice, so the smaller ones need to be able to grow up a bit before they can be left together. It's a process, but it works.

Ducks and chickens sometimes do okay together, but drakes trying to mate with hens could kill them.

There are some really nice in ground ponds members have made. Many of us just use kiddie pools or equivalent.

I know all my chickens are females and I'm HOPING all of the ducks are as well. I'd like to be able to open the door in the mornings, let them spend their days kicking around the horse pen, give them a visit at lunch time and then herd them in at night.... I might try to trade away drakes if it turns out I have any - my luck, they'll ALL be males!

I'll make a more in depth search for some other articles, I didn't look very hard before...

I thought the ducks NEEDed splashy water in the coop overnight, if they don't it will save me a ton of time and effort keeping things clean!

I also need to find some inexpensive webcams so I can watch them from my desk in the home office! :)

I like the web cam idea
big_smile.png

They need to be able to wash their little heads, you are right. Did you see Tweetysvoice watering station? There are others with great ideas, too. But somehow the ducklings need to have water to wash their heads, and water to drink 24/7 until they're several (I feel 10) weeks old and then they can go without (no food without water) for 8 to 10 hours overnight.

You are right, too, that water management is vital to keep up with brooder maintenance.

I think OldGuy43 did some neat things, see what you think of his setup.

I spent a good deal of last night looking thru some of the old threads and stealing pictures for ideas....

WOW!!

This is what I'm starting with, a 8' x 14' horse stall:

The timber right in front is part of the wall between the two stalls and I am thinking of putting my nesting boxes about knee level on it; there will be 1/2" plywood to 4' and then wire mesh maybe to the ceiling.. The wall to the right will get skinned in 1/2" plywood on the bottom and wire mesh on the top, The wall to the left needs the boards taken down and skinned with 1/2" plywood and wire mesh in the window. The door goes directly out to a horse pen outside where I want to put my duck pond.

I have to fix a couple of the gates outside, they were great for a horse, but the birds will just walk right under them.

I've had 6 chickens and 4 ducks for about 2 weeks (this weekend) and I got them toward the tail end of the batch at Tractor Supply, so I'm guessing they are about 3 weeks old at this point... The other two ducks are maybe a week to 10 days younger.

Last edited:
I know all my chickens are females and I'm HOPING all of the ducks are as well. I'd like to be able to open the door in the mornings, let them spend their days kicking around the horse pen, give them a visit at lunch time and then herd them in at night.... I might try to trade away drakes if it turns out I have any - my luck, they'll ALL be males!

I'll make a more in depth search for some other articles, I didn't look very hard before...

I thought the ducks NEEDed splashy water in the coop overnight, if they don't it will save me a ton of time and effort keeping things clean!

I also need to find some inexpensive webcams so I can watch them from my desk in the home office! :)

They don't need splashy water overnight, they just need water since they have food. Mine get this overnight, their 5wks old. It holds 3 Gal so plenty... i set it up on bricks recently too as they were stepping and flooding the place lol Now during the day, they come out for a bit and get in the low laying water and big water containers so can dunk and clean nares, overnight i don't trust them with something deeper.

Your plan is probably ok just watch if you do get drakes that is where it can be complicated. Hopefully those who do combine can comment further.

Last edited:
I have room to separate them if I need to, but I'm hoping that won't be the case.

I'm hoping everyone will be big enough to go out to the barn by next weekend when I have company coming - the smell is manageable because I know it will end soon, but visitors probably won't be as forgiving... :)

I think most of my weekend will find a hammer in my hand... :-(

I just got a duck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh and a goose! And I have 32 chickens on the way

Back
Top Bottom