New and looking for answers

littlestars1

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
My children caught 4 chickens at the fair. We brought them home today. I know nothing about chickens. I think I have 2 RIR and not sure of the other 2. How d are they? Hens or roosters? If anyone could help I'd sure appreciate it.

welcome-byc.gif
Are you supposed to catch chickens and take them home? Looks like you have two roosters and possibly two hens - depends on their age, can't see the ones in the back well.

Start at the Learning Center and you will have a good foundation to build upon.

They have an animal scramble for little kids. Chickens, ducks and rabbits. I have no idea how old they are. Looking for advice.

All of them look like roosters (there's a chance the white ones are girls but I don't think so). Congrats on entering the world of chickens! You're right about the red ones being Rhode Island Reds and the white ones look like White Leghorns. You should build them a coop and run. The run needs to be covered on the top and have chicken wire in the ground. You will need a chicken feeder and a chicken waterer and chicken feed. Chicken feed is about $17 for 50lbs, give or a take a little where you live. Walmart carries feed and so do feed stores. Since you have all boys, don't buy hens so the boys won't fight.

You can also have your kids join 4-H and show their chickens for awards/ribbons. Any other questions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom